• Advertisement

New blade mount design.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: New blade mount design.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:22 am

So far all my Oregon multi blade packs have come in boxed. Doesn't really matters however if they come semi loose as I am usually the one installing them. Now CC blades I ordered are on BO. At least I didn't need them ASAP., the customer's blade were good enough to sharpen. So that project is out of the shop.

I recently got myself one of those magnetic blade balancers and found that a lot of the new blades are not in balance. I am kinda surprised how far they are off at times. The problem I am having now is the getting use to how sensitive the balancer is and how much to take off as fine tune the balance.

For sales at HD I usually don't much time on Sundays to look around as it is quite a drive to get to the closest store. Even when I make a special trip to HD I am pressed for time.

I did more troubleshooting on the CC with PTO problem. I definitely narrowed it down to the relay. First I bypassed the relay and the PTO stayed engaged. Remove that bypass, installed the relay, and bypassed the lap bars. After about 15 minutes the PTO started acting up. Then I bypass the reverse inhibit module and the PTO acted up. I finally cut the main control ground wire for relay and it acted up. While it was acting up I shook the relay and it acted up so it must be something loose in the relay. Oh well I wasted sometime verifying the source of the problem but learn more about how to bypass the system plus I got a wiring diagram for that unit.

Hopefully I get the Gravely ZTRs out early next week. Boy it is a pain to change the starter relay (solenoid) on these. Had dismount the engine to get to the relay. To only find that one just had loose mains. Since I already the relay in hand I changed it while I was that far along.

The coming week will be mostly a two cycle repair week as I got nearly all the riders out except for the Honda ATV. Mayor front end tear down on it along with carb problems. Looks like someone stuck a clone on it and it is not right. Done had to buy an adjustment tool for the carb as you can't get in there with a normal screwdriver. 90 right angle tool is the only way to get in there.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:02 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Big snip
In regards to B/O parts Gardner ship as they come in but RBI will hold B/O parts until your next order.

have been trying to get my wholesalers to as RBI do for a decade but they are just not interested .
For me it is a PIA as I do my ordering manually so of course I have to go through the checking off & restocking several times
And on top of that it wastes money no end.
The previous Stens distributor had a woman I convinced to keep track of orders where the profit margin was less than the freight on partial orders that were B/O .
Over 12 months it averaged out at $ 36,000 a month where the the freight cost exceeded the mark up and $22,000 a month where the actual cost of the item exceeded the freight cost .
But the brass thought it was a trivial amount of money .
That was when I changed my ideas about wholesale suppliers
If the $ 200,000 executive decided that a $ 432,000 saving was "trivial" then their mark ups must be massive so I felt no guilt from bypassing them and ordering high volume parts direct from China at a fraction of their prices.
I always make up a minimum "free delivery" order but still not uncommon to get 1 fuel filter ( $ 3.25 ) in a $ 10 satchel on one day and a single spark plug a couple of days latter
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:00 pm

And here the PN for the 42" models.

742P05528 2n1 Blade
742P05177A-X Gator type Blade
742P05177L Low Lift Blade

So there goes another blade I got to stock now. And I got to get some model numbers for the other sizes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:36 pm

Good deal on the 42"s . I'll at least put them in the parts list. I did one of those solenoids two weeks back. A bugger, but the trick of taping the mount bolts into my socket worked better than my magnet extension. I considered remounting the thing elsewhere, but no real good place.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:13 am

Hanz, In the download section under MTD you will now find a PDF titled MTD-CUB S Blades that cover the new small "S" blades. The 42, 46, 50, and 54 inch ones are listed. Now of course this a work in progress as it may not include all sizes available but should cover at least the home owner deck sizes.

If you happen to have any other related blade sizes and numbers I be happy to research them for adding to the file.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:48 pm

Will do. Keep up the good work!
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:02 am

I would check in a month or so as I am still finding blades. Just added the Fast Attach 50" blades and even added the 50/54" Dethatching Blade Set part numbers this morning to list. Haven't found anything on the 42" or 46" decks having the fast attach system yet.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:13 am

And just today I get an Email from Rotary that they have come a design and now selling blades for the 50" and 54" cut. They are coming blades for the 42" and 46" cuts. Hence they only have PNs for the 50 and 54 blades currently with the other PNs coming later. Also I am contacting my rep as the MTD part numbers are for Low Lift version as to if these are Hi lift or Low Lift.

I believe these are the blades that are held by a nut and not the quick change ones. They will using what Rotary calls a diamond verse the stamped "S" mounting hole.

Rotary New blade design and PNs
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:58 am

Rotary replied back that the blades are both hi and low lift but that does't make sense here; unless, they are actually medium lift versions.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:53 pm

I saw that first thing this morning, thought a good start to the day. But yes, these should be the nutted versions. The quick attach ones are hopefully coming.
hanz63
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum