• Advertisement

New blade mount design.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

New blade mount design.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:45 pm

Well Cub Cadet / MTD has been up to no good again. They have introduced a new blade center hole design. I just came across this today here on a CC ZTR.

So now we must stock even more parts.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: New blade mount design.

Postby hanz63 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:06 pm

I started seeing them fairly regular last year , been out for ~ 5 years. My distributor was out much of last season, but stock is OK now. I keep a set of 50" and 46". If you don't already know, they use them both on nutted spindles and their REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT Fast Attach or quick attach or how can I get this thing unattached system. The Q/A spindles can really be a bugger when they get packed in with dirt.
You're right, more to stock and proprietary to boot. Before I pour the next one, should compare the ridiculous amount of MTD belts we stock too? Egads. They're out of hand. When I'm older, boy if I could only own a rider with fast attach blades and a plastic transmission. . .
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:28 am

I have seen the MTD system yet but done seen the crappy Husqvarna version. Costs more to repair than to convert to standard blade setup with new spindles and blades.

As I said it is the first time for me to see them. I would had thought I had already seen them before now but most of the equipment I see is the out of warranty ones. Base on your comment about 46 and 50 inch being more common I should be getting at a couple sets for each in stock just to keep my customer base happy.

Do you happen to have the PN for the 46 inch ones? I have the 50 inch PN here as I have a model number on hand. Oh I could go my local TSC find a model number if necessary for a 46 inch model.

Cub Cadet 50" Single Blade PN 742P05094, 2N1; 3 Blade set PN 490-110-Y193, HL so I am the HL sets and break them up.
Oregon 98-205, 2N1 per RBI. I will call and check to make sure as I can't find any pics of these blades.

And I working on a CC RTZ-L with a crazy PTO problem where the clutch disengages as if it was put in full reverse. I haven't found a bare grounding wire in the reverse circuit. It seems to be more a thermal issue. I finally found the PTO relay which the IPL don't even show. I tried the mower with the relay bypassed and the problem is not there. On the wiring diagram I don't see how the reverse inhibit mode even controls the relay so it be that module at the keyswitch. Now of course the wiring that I was provided don't show the four position switch just a stand three position switch setup so I am working in the blind here per say. If nothing else I can return the mower without the full reverse kill operational.

Apparently CC wants me to order a complete harness just to replace the relay. Not going to happen as the cost of relay is reasonable obtainable from Mouser vs the cost of a complete harness. Not going to happen as I can get the relay from Mouser and Amazon. As for connector housing I will need to ask Mouser about that as I have no info on it yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 pm

So the two I stock are :
742P05094 = 742-05094 stamped #
742P05510 = 742-05510
Plus here are the 54" from the tag :
942-01054-H , -X, -L
581043901 is the 46" HOP QA that I stock.
Good catch on aftermarket blades!
When I searched this winter , I used the stamped number rather than the P number or something, because I found none on the big 3 anyways.
925-1648 relay in question? I've had 2 intermittent PTO switches this week. One for an intermittent no crank though. Was the one with big lever built in ZT2? Gotta love intermittent electrons.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:04 pm

I didn't see any other references for an aftermarket from the big 3 , just the 98-205. Diamond center? PD stocks them though, but if I remember they are one of your favorites! Amazon has this: 742P05535 which shows as a 36" 3n1. Odd.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:34 am

PD dropped me because at the time I was getting a better price on the Briggs parts from A&I. But I not even with A&I now. Both demanded more purchases than I was needing due the major drop in Briggs sales here. Last year I only worked on two Briggs engines. Nearly every other engine was a Kawasaki followed by Kohler.

Yes the PN 925-1648 appears to be the relay. Why in the heck couldn't Cub Cadet give me the PN? Must be a bunch of trained monkeys at the support number.

Anyways I got five of the relays on the way from a source here. I will however add the MTD, Stens, and Rotary PNs as a crosses I currently have.

I just see paying any more than what I have already for the relays. Especially when my distributor is listing them at $26 vs the $2 I just brought them for. And boy is CC proud of them at $39.29 even Mouser was only $4.87 each. Of those were the 35A versions. Nice to get them at half the MTD price and still have four left afterwards.

And yes the problem is on a ZT1 here. I just pull the wire on the the reverse inhibit control box yesterday but didn't time to do any testing started raining. I manage to figure out the wire was the yellow/black one. If the box is bad I can bypass that unit and still have the full reverse kill function, just won't be able to bypass it by pressing the button.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:02 am

I was unable to find the Oregon PN 98-205 blade image on the Oregon site. But when I enter the MTD 742-05094 they gave me the 50MGS-1SL3 (CMXGZAM110193) as crosses and the image of those matches the "S" mount.

Neither of these PNs shows at RBI or at Gardner so I must order the 490-110-Y193 set for the 50 inch set. But I have added the those two PN to the crosses here on my system with no pricing so I know they must be crossed to the ones that I can get.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:14 pm

Why they have a reverse switch on a ZTR..... I admit that I cheat and have an extra modular switch just for testing. Stens had them cheap? I'm going to be hooked up w/ Gardiner now. Anything to know?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:59 pm

hanz63 wrote:Why they have a reverse switch on a ZTR..... I admit that I cheat and have an extra modular switch just for testing. Stens had them cheap? I'm going to be hooked up w/ Gardiner now. Anything to know?

Personally it is kinda dumb to have a full lock out. If the relay is not the problem I will bypass the Reverse Inhibit control box and have it dis-engaging as intended but without an over ride function. Finally found the wiring schematic for the 2017 ZT1 I am working so I know where to make the needed change. Oh I could make it dis engage in full reverse and then auto re-engage once out of full reverse. Can't test anything until at least Monday due to rain.

With Gardner like RBI they are charging for credit card payments. 2.5% of the order fee the last time I checked but I am on a 30 day statement plan currently and I send payments as I received the parts. Kinda a pain with Gardner as I have to mail a check where as RBI uses Codis so I can make payments electronically. At least Gardner upped my credit limit and I just signed up to be a Hydro Gear repair center. Not keen on doing warranty repairs but that was part of the deal so I could get my parts and hydros cover by warranty. And if I remember correctly free shipping starts around $225 per order. May have changed since last year. I seldom have that big of an order so I always seem to be paying shipping.

In regards to B/O parts Gardner ship as they come in but RBI will hold B/O parts until your next order.

The only other thing is that Gardner is lower on Husqvarna parts and RBI is lower on MTD parts. An example is those 490-110-Y193 blade sets Gardner was $68.40 as where RBI was $55.14.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:37 pm

The current distributor price is the same for 3 of the each as the set. I noticed some of the blade "packs" on my OEP 6 packs were supposed to come wrapped, but didn't. I used to walk through Home Depot OPE department Jan / Feb and look at their closeout parts. Sometimes great deals used to be had, though I doubt anymore. I've gotten blades and air filters nicely below cost back then. Maybe that will make a comeback. They will prolly liquidate all their Honda stuff. See these goofy blades and go, what do these things fit? $3.29
hanz63
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum