• Advertisement

Eaton 778-011 Transaxle Parts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Eaton 778-011 Transaxle Parts

Postby OverKnight » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:33 am

The Eaton 778's need 700 mL of fluid per axle, so that's less than 1.5 quarts for both. Tractor Supply has the J20A only in two-gallons bottles; I have no use for the extra 1.5 gallons.

I do have some Rotella 15W-40. Would that be better than the straight 30W?

I know that different oils and greases should never be mixed (although I've never seen a problem from this). Would using a mixture of the Rotella 15W-40 and some ATF be a good idea? I'm thinking that maybe a 3:1 ratio of Rotella:ATF would provide some of the additives the Rotella doesn't have. Probably not a good idea, but thought I'd ask.

One last unrelated question: I believe PPETEN.com has a defunct email address for me, as I'm not receiving email notifications of responses. How do I change my email address?

Thanks again, everyone.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:27 pm

OverKnight wrote:
I know that different oils and greases should never be mixed (although I've never seen a problem from this). Would using a mixture of the Rotella 15W-40 and some ATF be a good idea? I'm thinking that maybe a 3:1 ratio of Rotella:ATF would provide some of the additives the Rotella doesn't have. Probably not a good idea, but thought I'd ask.

No. definitely not a good idea. Same reason we only used ATF in Sundstrand transmissions that originally had ATF in them... Up until they were pulled and rebuilt (I rebuilt a lot!) then we switched them over to 10W30. 10W30 turned out to be a better option and was what came originally in the Wheel Horses that used Eaton hydrostats. I see no need to buy special blend of oil, if you can identify what was originally in it (unless it is pretty much all empty) as something close to regular motor oil, you'd do better to dump in a quart - if there were a way to really drain it well, you could just switch it over to 10W30 , run it a few hours, change oil again and you'd likely be just fine.

Only thing I'd worry about is mixing incompatible oils , which ATF and Motor oils are definitely incompatible. (I've seen them mixed in those Sundstrands, and even after several hours the oil came out looking "stripey" red and brown clearly defined.. like oil & water)

Oh yeah for your email address, I believe you can change that in your profile settings (user control panel) , or you'd have to hit up KE4AVB via private message or something to change it...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby OverKnight » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:51 pm

Thank you, bgsengine. I knew it was a dumb question, but what the heck... I think I'll use the Rotella 15W-40 when I put it back together

I'll send KE4AVB an private message.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum