• Advertisement

JD E110 eating deck belts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: jd e120 eating deck belts

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:40 am

Something I just remembered is I think his engagement spring hole in lever broke open and I may have drilled a new one slightly back. Maybe I need to get that mved back to original spot.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:53 am

I just pulled the cover. Right side. First picture is front where I added aluminum strip over the worn plastic. Second picture is the rear side. Belt goes straight from right pulley to rear of left pulley. Why would the plastic guide wear like that. Has to be when belt engaged. Certainly not just while belt goes slack on disengagement.
https://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/Lcover2.jpg
https://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/Lcover1.jpg
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:43 pm

Hmmm I haven't seen this problem yet here so I am in the dark. Something is definitely causing the belt rub. JD specs their belt at 14.4mm wide and the old belt was spec'd at 1/2". This might be causing the belt to sit proud of the pulley vees.

I would be checking the belt clearance with the deck engaged to see if you can see the belt rubbing.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:00 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Hmmm I haven't seen this problem yet here so I am in the dark. Something is definitely causing the belt rub. JD specs their belt at 14.4mm wide and the old belt was spec'd at 1/2". This might be causing the belt to sit proud of the pulley vees.

I would be checking the belt clearance with the deck engaged to see if you can see the belt rubbing.

Yes. When engaged the belt clearly rubs the right front guard corner. Oem belt when engaged is in my opinion not tight enough and supr loose when disengaged although youtube chicanic says it should be quite loose. Only thing keeping it on pulleys is the guards.
I recall someone said to ensure brakes are releasing. Just found that left brake definitely hasn't been. It needs more engage lever movement for that to happen . Ok typing and working. Remove belt and I was able to pull lever by hand far enough for brake to go off. But seemed to jam. Partly worn pivot as someone suggested. But remember that I said engagement spring hole had lengthened so I drilled new hole. So new also lengthened but I released I drilled it just a bit back and I think spring now jams with brake rod. Going back to old hole but expect I'll need to patch and drill or he bites bullet for new lever, especially if pivot is worn-out.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:14 pm

Ok. No difference moving the spring although it's spring and brake are clearing each other now. With belt off I can hand pull on spring and lever moves a bit to release brake but even with what I consider a loose belt I can't pull it that further amount with belt on. Spring just stretches with no more lever movement. So is pivot binding too much when dealing with the belt tension?
Update. My bad. Spring hole is supposed to be elongate:d as per part picture.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:32 am

The RH cover looks like the moving idler is just pulling the belt back enough. It is LH one that is concerning it is as if too small of a stationary idler pulley had been installed. Check it against the Stens 280-242 pulley specs. Across the flat area should be 4-1/4". Or at least that is the cross for the AUC17621 pulley.

Like me you probably got a deck that someone else has been working on and anything is possible.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:18 am

KE4AVB wrote:The RH cover looks like the moving idler is just pulling the belt back enough. It is LH one that is concerning it is as if too small of a stationary idler pulley had been installed. Check it against the Stens 280-242 pulley specs. Across the flat area should be 4-1/4". Or at least that is the cross for the AUC17621 pulley.

Like me you probably got a deck that someone else has been working on and anything is possible.

Actually I just replaced smaller pulley but just after I discovered 2nd set of covers worn through. Funny thing is I recall the replacement covers fro ipl had different numbers and old numbers still on my whiteboard. Just found picture of used one on ebay. Exactly the sane wear through. I'm pretty sure no one else has worked on it. He's my neighbour.
And actually a smaller pulley might let the arm move further and pull brake off but that would likely still leave belt touching cover as it comes off the right spindle. Going to have to look at that pivot. He'll be getting impatient. Probably 1/8 inch of growth.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:44 am

I wish grass was growing by 18 inch here.

Looking over the IPL here I see that there is two different covers. Gy21084 LH and Gy21773 RH so could it be that they got switched up? although it may not be possible if mounting points breather valve is stuck closed. Also going to see if there is enough wear to delete the .022 gasket and just seal it up either Motoseal and Honda bond.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:57 am

KE4AVB wrote:I wish grass was growing by 18 inch here.

Looking over the IPL here I see that there is two different covers. Gy21084 LH and Gy21773 RH so could it be that they got switched up? although it may not be possible if mounting points breather valve is stuck closed. Also going to see if there is enough wear to delete the .022 gasket and just seal it up either Motoseal and Honda bond.

I didn't see any 2nd set on the ipl but your numbers might be ones on I wrote on my whiteboard for his old ones.
Just checked. Your numbers on my ipl. Ones on it now. Old numbers were different.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:58 am

Maybe it is revision not listed on the IPL and may have to get a JD dealer involved.

If Serial numbers contains:

Model year
J = 2018, K = 2019, L = 2020

Which area it was for
A = Canada, C = California, E = 49 States and Australia
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum