• Advertisement

JD 652R Mightmare

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

JD 652R Mightmare

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 03, 2023 6:41 am

Boy talk about stupid designs. I got in a JD 652R that #2 cylinder is down. Really was hoping it was an ignition problem only but it is worst.

On this setup you can't even remove the rocker covers without removing the muffler. To top that off you can't remove the muffler; unless, you remove the engine. Boy I in for a whole day just to get to the rocker covers. I got an idea that I will need to replace the head. The engine has been running with #2 missing for sometime due to a bad terminal at the plug.

Just think I recently had PTO off for a drive belt replacement so at least that should come off easy. Don't remember if the drive pulley can off last or not. If it did then should be find if not then it might be stuck on.

As well I better go ahead and order a $275 cylinder head kit. Of course the distributor don't have one in stock. Oh they got the head but it would cost more to use individual parts then the kit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: JD 652R Mightmare

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 03, 2023 4:58 pm

If took several hours to get everything un-bolted and engine pulled.

As I figure the head is damaged. Rocker arm stud broken off. Main reason is the engine never had a valve adjustment done since new. The ones still intact were .024+ when normal is .002-.004.

IT also can stand to have a new PTO clutch installed as the current one is badly worn.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Wed May 03, 2023 6:59 pm

If the rocker covers are that difficult to get at I'm not surprised the valves have never been adjusted. It is unfortunate the owner/operator didn't pay more attention to preventive maintenance.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 04, 2023 6:23 am

Nor am I. It a half day job to adjust the valves and that when things comes apart easily. The customer just brought the machine last fall. I just had straighten the electrical system a couple months ago. Someone attempted to bypass the safety system and failed. Restored as JD intended.

I just hope the machine gets better annual maintenance as I would do this once each year at least. I currently have it sitting on four 8" concrete blocks so I can get under it. I had to take the PTO anti-rotation bracket off to get one of engine bolts out. Just not design to be easily serviced at all.

I will have a talk with the commercial customer as this would cost around $500 just to do the valve adjustments each year. He might consider dumping the machine for one that is easier to service. The machine looks to be built to handle the jobs thrown at it, just a pain to even do simple service things.

Now these do sell for nearly 13,000 usd. So the repair costs can be justified in a way.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum