• Advertisement

Hi and Honda

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hi and Honda

Postby John » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi to all the good people on this website I live in Letchworth SG6 UK and am new to fixing engines. I have just become a member on the phpbb forum/website. My first question. I have a Honda GX140 generator that smokes like a good un so I took the head off and I think the problem is the outlet valve is worn. The outlet valve guide appears to have a ring ( like a circlip but just round ) on top to stop it dropping, I want to put in a new guide but don't know how to remove the old one. Do I take the clip off and knock out the guide. Also the inlet guide has a oil seal on it does the outlet valve guide also have an oil seal on it. Sorry if I confused any one but I am new to the engine thing. Thanks John.
Never do a job standing up when you can do it sitting down.
John

Advertisement

Re: Hi and Honda

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Valve stem seal is only used on the intake valve.
I would first check if the valve stem itself is worn before attempting to replace the guide - Usually special tools and experience are needed for guide replacement.

Not sure about in the U.K. But stateside, a new head would be a better option if the valve guide is worn - they are surprisingly cheap.

If the engine smokes heavily, I would tend to suspect a head gasket or breather problem before valve guides - while they can lose some oil that way, if they are worn so badly as to make the engine smoke "like a chimney" it won't be the guides.

check your head gasket for any signs that it has burned through between the cylinder and the valve pushrod galley - if it has, then all you may need is a head gasket.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wobbedennis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 am

I would suspect rings before I suspected valve issues. When you take the head off, look at the cylinder, is it scored? And is there oil sitting on the top of the piston, and the intake clean? Do you see any damaged that bgsengine was talking about with the head gasket? I sincerely doubt the guides are bad, I'd put my money on a bad head gasket or rings.
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Postby John » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 am

Hi bgsengine & wobbedennis, Thank you both for your replys and very good advice. The rings, gasket, even the valves seem ok so I am just going to give it all a good clean and put it back together. If it still smokes put it in the shed for a while or stick it on ebay for spares lol. What I will buy next will be an old single cylinder Lister Diesel engine as I love the sound they make when running ( sad I know but true ). Thanks for your help and I will repost in a couple of days and let you know if it runs again. :)
John

Postby John » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:20 am

Hi all, I have put my Honda GX140 back together really not changing anything just cleaned and reground the valves and as expected it still smokes like a steam train lol.
The main thing here is I took it apart and I got it back together ( Hooray ) and it still starts 1st pull on the cord. The fact that I did not fix it is to me immaterial. I have found a new Hobby and I can only get better at it. Thanks for your advice and please be ready for when I get my 1st Lister Diesel. Thanks John.
John

Postby John » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I put a post on Guntree explaining all about my GX140 and a nice man come agreed it smoked a lot and took it away for £50 uk £££££s. I am now going to buy a Lister LD1. I will keep you posted. Thanks John. :bricks:
John

Return to Technical Discussion Forum