• Advertisement

Briggs engine flooding after shutting off

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs engine flooding after shutting off

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:01 pm

creia wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Well i usually just use my mityvac tester to pressure a carburetor inverted so the float weight is on the needle valve and seat looking for pressure drop over 30-60 minutes.

You professional techs have all the cool tools and equipment! 8-)
While lowly garage hacks like me w/o all those goodies sometimes have to resort to "get-er-done" methods.... :roll:
Michael

Swing on by Amazon and splurge a bit - https://www.amazon.com/MV8000-Automotiv ... 00265M9SS/ ($42-ish at the moment) or book mark it and watch for used deals to come up. Pressure/Vac pump is useful for more than just carb testing- also can rig it to a sealed can (2 hose nipples in lid, hook vac pump to one, hook other to whatever you wanna drain, it can work as a tank drainer, for example - lots of things, just gotta use the imagination)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:05 am

BGS, That is a vacuum only testing version. What is needed is the MV8500 which is around $91 on Amazon. Now Walmart has it for $85 including free shipping.

And the pressure testing can be for crankcase testing too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:25 am

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Well i usually just use my mityvac tester to pressure a carburetor inverted so the float weight is on the needle valve and seat looking for pressure drop over 30-60 minutes.

You professional techs have all the cool tools and equipment! 8-)
While lowly garage hacks like me w/o all those goodies sometimes have to resort to "get-er-done" methods.... :roll:
Michael

Swing on by Amazon and splurge a bit - https://www.amazon.com/MV8000-Automotiv ... 00265M9SS/ ($42-ish at the moment) or book mark it and watch for used deals to come up. Pressure/Vac pump is useful for more than just carb testing- also can rig it to a sealed can (2 hose nipples in lid, hook vac pump to one, hook other to whatever you wanna drain, it can work as a tank drainer, for example - lots of things, just gotta use the imagination)

AMEN again: (about the mityvac)

That is a really fair price on that one.
Yes, save up and splurge on a Mityvac 8000. Put it on your to buy tool list.
It will help make you look like a PRO when you get your large box out with all the fittings and start putting it together for a test. You might even want to take a selfie of yourself with the tool doing tests and get on you tube with Tarral. (make sure your tooth is clean) ;)

When you get one such as this with all the accessories get a large plastic tool box with a lift out lid so as to collect others accessories, such as hoses, adapters, etc.
I've got a older model that I have had for several years and have never had to kit the tool and I use it on automotive checking vacuum valves, bleeding brakes by myself, (do not need the helper pumping the brakes and causing a harsh communication problem :x ) checking carbs of all kinds, on and on. ;)

Hint: I use a briggs fuel filter on the vacuum hose on mine to keep small particles from getting drawn into the tools check valves. I previously had to take it apart couple times and carefully clean the check valve.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 am

KE4AVB wrote:BGS, That is a vacuum only testing version. What is needed is the MV8500 which is around $91 on Amazon. Now Walmart has it for $85 including free shipping.

Good catch on the vac only.
That is why the price was reduced. You do need both the vac and pressure.

I have a blood pressure bulb with 10 psi gauge and tygon tubing that I use on workbench when checking carb's with pressure.
The blood pressure bulb and gauge was less than $20 and is more user friendly on the workbench as compared to the mity/vac 8500.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:11 pm

KE4AVB wrote:BGS, That is a vacuum only testing version. What is needed is the MV8500 which is around $91 on Amazon. Now Walmart has it for $85 including free shipping.

Hmm. somebody changed my bookmarked product page, it appears - I didn't notice. It USED to be the 8500 (I know that amazon sellers can take over an ASIN mainly due to its popularity and change it to another product..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:01 pm

Now of course the hand ppump is available by itself without the accessories and the carrying case under PN MV8255. But personally I like having a storage/carrying case myself as I can keep everything together.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:53 pm

(Last) Update:
The mower has sat 4 days since I ran it last. It started and ran on the first pull today! :D No more carb flooding! :D
I am concluding that it WAS the bad Viton tip on the (10 YEAR OLD) OEM Briggs carb and that BOTH clone carbs I purchased were duds. At least I can canabalize their carb needles as/when needed. Case closed...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum