• Advertisement

Briggs engine flooding after shutting off

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs engine flooding after shutting off

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:29 pm

creia wrote:Thank you Brian,
As to the type of choke...
It does not have a primer bulb nor does it have a manual choke (lever or knob), so I guess it must be a thermostatic? Is that mechanism built into the carb and as such not visible? (Never had an engine with a thermostatic carb before). I have to tell you- This aftermarket carb is absolutely IDENTICAL in appearance to the OEM Briggs carb! :o
Michael

If there's no primer bulb (Red button dead center in the middle of air cleaner body) then it will have to have a choke - likely automatic thermostatic control choke, but then you should have noticed the choke plate and choke shaft in the front of carb throat (If no primer, then carb will have two shafts & plates - choke & throttle) - if no choke shaft and plate, then it must be primer type carburetor, and if your air cleaner cover does NOT have the primer bulb in the center (surrounded by air filter element) then you either got the wrong carb or wrong air box.... I didn't check spec on the engine (I no longer have power portal access, after my retirement, I let it all lapse, so also no longer a current Briggs Master tech)

Although TBH I am hankering to take on a hobby restoring old Iron and I am considering starting to buy up old Wheel Horse tractors locally and restoring them... (Despite my current woodworking hobby which I also enjoy!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:33 pm

There is a choke plate and a throttle plate on both carbs. I saw them and checked the operation of them (made sure they moved freely) before I installed the new carb. This must be an "automatic" thermostatic controlled choke.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:24 pm

Possibly - watch closely how it all works when you move throttle (governor link) by hand (make it act as it might when it starts up) I'd suggest remove air cleaner cover box and be sure choke closes fully, and opens smoothly as the throttle starts to close up (as RPM's increase) - It should crack the choke open a bit, which is when the thermostat takes over - There are linkage adjustments to be checked (I would suggest read and review Briggs manual for the engine, BTW, which may help understand it better)

Any case, choke should fully close when it comes time to start up, but linkage adjustments can affect that if it isn't set correctly, which might make it hard to start - However your running symptoms as you describe would lead me to believe the carb is either jetted lean or there is an air leak. (double check compression, valve clearances, etc., too) Big surge then runs great also may be indicative of a loose venturi, if I remember the one I warrantied, its operation was somewhat similar (though it started up fine on prime, and ran OK *sometimes* then it went lean and died... rinse and repeat...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:51 pm

I just watched a real informative (and easy to understand) video on how the Briggs 550EX automatic thermostatic choke works (Gotta love YouTube!)., so now I understand them. They also showed how to check for proper operation and linkage adjustment. Sometime later this week I'll resume work on the mower and I'll check those items you mentioned as well. I went ahead and bought another aftermarket carb as well just in case. ($ 10.00 shipped and it will be here on Friday! :) Stay tuned for another update....
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:26 am

IF thermostatic then there would be a linkage going over to the muffler's thermostatic valve. It not internal to the carburetor.

Just have not enough of these engine to be of any help here. Walk behind mower are nearly none existence here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:36 am

Can you confirm that the choke is closed when cold on the new carb and properly attached to opening mechanism?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:54 pm

38racing wrote:Can you confirm that the choke is closed when cold on the new carb and properly attached to opening mechanism?

Yes, the linkage from the thermostatic choke on the muffler to the carb is connected correctly and operates freely. When the engine is cold the choke plate is closed, and after I run it (still surging like before and cannot start it w/o using starting fluid) and the muffler heats up the plate is open. This weekend, time permitting, I'm going to swap out the first replacement carb with another one I purchased and will report back.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:35 pm

Today's update...
I installed the second aftermarket carb today, however, the same problems still persist: :(
1. Have to use starting fluid to get it to fire and run every time, even after engine is warmed up. :(
2. Alternating periods of running fine/full rpm and (big) surges to the point it almost shuts off. :(

Something I noticed- When the surging periods take place the governor arm is moving back and forth (significantly) which correlates directly with the increase and decreases of the engine rpms.
Sooooo, my questions are these:
1. Is the carb surging (assume fuel delivery problem?) causing the governor arm to move back and forth or is the governor arm moving causing the carb throttle plate to open and close (carb surging)?
2. Could both of these be "dud" carbs and time to get a genuine Briggs replacement carb?
3. Do I buy a Briggs "carb rebuild kit" for my original Briggs carb? (It never had and surge or starting problems- only flooding; presumably from a bad needle/seat/float?)
4. How to explain the "no-start" condition and having to use starting fluid every time even when engine is hot. (I do know it is not good for the engine to keep using starting fluid like this- learned that years ago on this forum- LOL!)
I am kind of stuck here guys- :oops: Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:54 pm

creia wrote: Sooooo, my questions are these:
1. Is the carb surging (assume fuel delivery problem?) causing the governor arm to move back and forth or is the governor arm moving causing the carb throttle plate to open and close (carb surging)?
Not necessarily the carb, but that is the *usual* culprit - Your surging is either an air leak, or insufficient fuel. (is this mechanical governor engine? I don't remember - I'd be asking if it smooths out of you hold throttle lever on carb in place, but unlikely to do so.) I'd also be carefully checking the o-ring seal and intake tube , gaskets/manifold, etc besides just the carburetor. Like any other engine it just needs correct fuel air mix to run smoothly at the governed RPM, so once you find out which (Air or Fuel) and where, then you'd found the problem.
2. Could both of these be "dud" carbs and time to get a genuine Briggs replacement carb?
It is entirely possible. All depends on your willingness to spend the money on Genuine.

3. Do I buy a Briggs "carb rebuild kit" for my original Briggs carb? (It never had and surge or starting problems- only flooding; presumably from a bad needle/seat/float?)
There ain't really any rebuild kits from Briggs for these (Just the float/ nozzle assembly, bowl, and o-rings are replaceable parts AFAIK - otherwise it is new carb time)
4. How to explain the "no-start" condition and having to use starting fluid every time even when engine is hot. (I do know it is not good for the engine to keep using starting fluid like this- learned that years ago on this forum- LOL!)
I am kind of stuck here guys- :oops: Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.
Michael

No Start even when choked is generally indicative again of not enough fuel getting through carb, or too much air after the throttle plate (air leak) so the fact that a shot of start fluid (I'd recommend carb cleaner instead which is far gentler on engine - Starting fluid is also World's best degreaser, while carb cleaner does have lubricants to it - very little but some.) If you can definitively eliminate Air Leak (Spray some carb cleaner around intake tube/manifold/gasket when it is surging and see if it settles out or changes RPM - if it does, chances are it is an air leak - cracked manifold? Leaky O-Ring?) otherwise you can try adding fuel (rig a piece of tag wire or something to the choke lever and use it to close choke when it surges and see if that helps anything? rig a squirt can loaded with gas and a piece of tubing for a nozzle into the carb throat in some way and give it a shot of extra gas?) Don't forget to check the o-rings where air cleaner body connects with carb - (and also locate and verify air bleed holes are not being blocked)

In short, troubleshooting these engines is no different really than trouble shooting a 1960's float carb engine - only difference between the two is in design - if you understand how your 1960 carbureted engines work, same principle applies to these. Just a matter of understanding the design (where does air normally flow? where does fuel normally flow? what typically controls fuel delivery? etc, etc.) to figure out where to look. It ain't rocket science :) (Though I've had some argue otherwise!)

Also, the fact that it *sometimes* seems to run perfectly again would have me thinking "WHY?" - if it was a restricted jet, it isn't likely to do that, right? So I'd be looking at stuff that can get loose or move around (or cracks that can close up and re-open, o-rings that seal when vibration from engine happens to shift them to the right spot, etc, etc.)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Going back to your original problem which was fuel leaking (evidently) in original carb, I also wonder if it could have been masking the real problem (air leak) - So, I would want to know, have you eliminated everything else? Have you checked and verified valve clearance? Tried compression and leak down tests? Checked the flywheel key? Monitored spark while running? (could be misfiring, maybe a bad coil, maybe out of time, maybe valve adjustment too tight and holding valve open, maybe exhaust restrictions? maybe air leaks?)

If the excess fuel was fixed with the original carb, I wonder if you would not then have ended up with this same follow up problem after the fix...?
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum