• Advertisement

Craftsman electrical

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman electrical

Postby Gerry » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:54 pm

Got a Craftsman CMXGNAM1130051 (08 2019) VBriggs. Dude said he bought it used everything working but on first pass the blades stopped and wont engage. First I dont know how everthing was working the OEM ignition switch had been replaced with a Indak and only 3 spades had wires other wire cut mangled. I have managed to rewire the unit back to OEM switch 925-04228. The mower starts, runs and looks like all safety switches work as designed.

The PTO will not engage, I have power to the PTO switch and power leaving the switch down to the PTO. The problem is that both wires going to the PTO have 12.3 volts....how is this?

I cant find a wiring diagram and I at a stand still, any one got the wiring diagram or ideas...TIA.

Gerry

Edit: I did hook up a good bench PTO and it wont engage either.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman electrical

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:38 pm

The problem lays in the PTO ground relay. It is being energized thus removing the ground for the electric clutch. Here is a close circuit from a ZT1 Cub Cadet that will help you understand what is going on. I had recently that would energize on it own after heating up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ToVz7vilw4P3tzVKwOd5nndJ8vfb63H0/view?usp=drive_link

And this where it is located in the harness if they didn't remove it.

And you will not find it listed in the parts list either as MTD wants you to buy the complete harness. It is PN 925-1648A (NVFMCS20DC12V1.5AR).

Side Note: Once the relay actives you have to cycle the PTO switch as that part of the Reverse Inhibit circuit. Otherwords the relay latches up until it is reset.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:15 am

My 99 mtd has a relay in the pto. No fancy anti reverse cut thought. Switch is a toggle with off run an start. If i get off the seat the blades will stop but engine stays running. That's handy but it took some tme to analyze the schematic when PTO switch failed t activate the blades.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:35 am

Thanks I needed some relief I was wondering what that lonely little pigtail was doing up there all alone. Part on order.
Gerry
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum