• Advertisement

Honda overrevving

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda overrevving

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:54 am

GCV190 - GJAAA-1134850
Honda HRX217TDA

Could this be causing an over-revving condition? I've checked everything else and can't see any problem.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kPUgB3RCJgzqLaKe9

Looks like the linkage hole on the carb has oval'd out.

I went ahead and ordered a new carb and linkage anyway. OEM is dirt cheap on these.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Honda overrevving

Postby RoyM » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:49 pm

If anything that would couse hunting at low speeds but not over speeding. If the linkage isn't damaged the governor gear inside the engine has likely failed.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:38 pm

Thanks. I'll check it out.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm

On this same machine, It came in with a drive problem. I've narrowed it down to a belt and drive speed selector cable. It looks like I need to remove the plastic pulley to remove the screw that holds the drive speed selector cable in place. There's a hole in the pulley which gives access to the screw that holds the cable but I'm not sure if there's enough room in there to get the screw out and back in.

It looks like there's a roll pin holding that pulley. I was wondering if anyone knew what size punch would work best there. I'm having trouble seeing down there to determine whether or not there's a plastic shoulder deep inside there. Also, wondering if I need metric punches. The pin itself is very slight as far as thickness. I'm not having much luck with my standard punches and don't want to mangle things up.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:19 pm

Lefty,
In my experience with roll pins, I have learned that you do not want to use a "regular" punch. You want to get an actual roll pin punch that is designed for this task that is of the appropriate size. They have a center protrusion that goes inside the roll pin, and an outside shoulder that rides on the roll pin edge and drives it out. Years ago I learned the hard way and mangled up some roll pins (and their receiving holes)trying to drive them out with the wrong tool. :oops:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:06 pm

creia wrote:Lefty,
In my experience with roll pins, I have learned that you do not want to use a "regular" punch. You want to get an actual roll pin punch that is designed for this task that is of the appropriate size. They have a center protrusion that goes inside the roll pin, and an outside shoulder that rides on the roll pin edge and drives it out. Years ago I learned the hard way and mangled up some roll pins (and their receiving holes)trying to drive them out with the wrong tool. :oops:
Michael

Technically, those pins you have trouble with are Spring pins (they are spring steel, hollow in the middle, formed to shape, slot down the length to allow for springiness) - true roll pins are different in that they are just a piece of steel sheet stock rolled into a barrel and they are typically fairly solid all the way through - Sometimes using a "roll pin punch" can actually mushroom the inner rolls of the steel and wedge it in even tighter - So it is usually advisable to be sure of what type of pin you are working with, and select appropriate punch for the job... (there are also some pins made of solid tool steel, very hard, and will actually deform the ball tip of a roll pin punch.. DAMHIK...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:54 pm

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:00 am

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:Lefty,
Michael

Technically, those pins you have trouble with are Spring pins (they are spring steel, hollow in the middle, formed to shape, slot down the length to allow for springiness) - true roll pins are different in that they are just a piece of steel sheet stock rolled into a barrel and they are typically fairly solid all the way through - Sometimes using a "roll pin punch" can actually mushroom the inner rolls of the steel and wedge it in even tighter - So it is usually advisable to be sure of what type of pin you are working with, and select appropriate punch for the job... (there are also some pins made of solid tool steel, very hard, and will actually deform the ball tip of a roll pin punch.. DAMHIK...)

Very good info here about roll pins.
(when not to use a roll pin punch) I've had this experience solid roll pins vs slit pins)

AND
I've found that some pins are directional, slightly tapered, especially when used in guns.
I'm careful (keep a heads up notice) to note the removal and re-install direction of solid pins)
Trying to remove and re-install from wrong direction can break/damage things. :oops: OOP's again
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:19 pm

Thanks. I'm usually very careful about keeping track of how things went. A lethal combination of paranoia and OCD.

On this same machine, I noticed a bit of oil leaking from the transmission. I think this is a sealed unit and this is a bad sign. But I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I've had it up on its side for several days. I've attached a photo. You can see a bit of oil puddling below the trans on the plastic deck. There was also some sludge on the trans. That sludge you get when dirt mixes with oil. Should I replace this transmission as well? I don't think it's a serviceable part.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gpgu42rBXpw8A4XK6

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 pm

lefty wrote:Thanks. I'm usually very careful about keeping track of how things went. A lethal combination of paranoia and OCD.

On this same machine, I noticed a bit of oil leaking from the transmission. I think this is a sealed unit and this is a bad sign. But I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I've had it up on its side for several days. I've attached a photo. You can see a bit of oil puddling below the trans on the plastic deck. There was also some sludge on the trans. That sludge you get when dirt mixes with oil. Should I replace this transmission as well? I don't think it's a serviceable part.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gpgu42rBXpw8A4XK6

Thanks.

No:
by just looking your picture.
I've seen similar when I've had eq and lawn mowers/tractors on their side for awhile trying to get better access to other things. I would at least set a container under the drip mainly to see amt of oil captured for later when checking the oil level.
I do not see any signs of major oil leakage from the past when machine was in normal upright position.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum