• Advertisement

Oil inflation

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oil inflation

Postby 38racing » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:10 pm

Few years back I bought 2 or 3 18.9 litre pails of walmart sae30 oil as I thought that maybe it was being discontinued. It has both c and s ratings. Unless there's a pail in a shed I need to restock. Last time it was $48 cdn. It's now $89 cdn. Apparently it's still the best deal. Canadian tire straight 30 shows only a c rating for diesel but no s rating for gas. Anyway, its $135 cdn now.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oil inflation

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:55 am

Yes oil has gone up a little here too. I was buying 5 US qt bottles of Kawasaki SAE 15w50 oil at a reasonable price until last year. It now costs me $54.56 usd per 5 qt bottle. On top that shipping went through the roof. Now I buy Mobile One version from Walmart at $26.57 (5qt bottle) with free shipping to my door. I usually buy six qt bottles at a time as I don't do a lot oil changes. Actually the local Walmart have stop stock the Dino oils. The last I took time to go through the oil I only seen a couple bottles of Rotella oil.

This it $5.32 per quart. Now if I just get the one quart bottle then it is nearly $9. Converting to 18.9 liters (5 US gallons) then I am currently paying $106.28 ($139.84 CAD). Now the Super Tech SAE30 oil at Walmart online is $13.97 (18.38 CAD) per US gallon. So you are actually getting a better deal than I can locally here. So for the synthetic oils are just about the same price per quart. I have quit stocking 5w30 and 10w40 in flavor of the 15w50 syn since our Summer temps are getting higher every year. Yesterday we got 89F air temp but the heat index was 105F. The sun feels like oven beaming down on my skin.

You can anyway blame this on the greedy Saudis in the Middle East and Russia. But of the US oil companies are just as greedy.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 pm

We are getting those same high temperatures . Right now it looks like could get the rotella t4 15w40 for 99 cdn for 19 l at walmart. It has the gas sn rating as does the supertech. Guess question is whether the multi at 40 is better than straight 30. I wonder if 30 is common because briggs said to use it or briggs said to use it because it was common. Back before multi grade oils I wonder if 40 or 50 were common.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:07 am

I have really dug into the oils but I know most SAE30 are non detergent oils and the multi grades are detergent oils

Non detergent oils are meant for engines without oil filter so the contaminates settle to the lowest part of the engine and detergent oil are supposed to keep them suspended so the oil filters can filter filter them out.

Now I did use some semi synthetic oil a while back that had a Moly additive and it seems to help older engines especially my old truck engine as it restored the normal oil pressure. Now it is a V6.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum