• Advertisement

49M977-1036-G5 Shredding crankcase gaskets

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: 49M977-1036-G5 Shredding crankcase gaskets

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:51 pm

Sorry for taking so long but had other major to get done first. Here is examples of what I found today when I pull the oil sump pan.
Image Image Image

Now I don't see a single reason for it be leaking.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:37 pm

So where do you go from here? I get to see what another shop did by installing a Chineseum cam in a 33. Joy.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Well I tried a couple of Chinese crap cams here had to machine them down to fit and then they didn't last a season.

I going to try Permatex Ultra Black on both sides of the gasket, install finger tight for 12 hrs then torque to specs. Motoseal didn't work. It turned rock hard.Maybe by the time it blows again I be out of here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:26 pm

The gasket is the weak part of the layering system you'll have. I'm thinking that your seal will hold half of the gasket to each side. Something for you to ponder. I've had these twins before and wonder why the gasket came apart as it did. Thinking that my straight edge was as good as a wooden rule or something.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:36 am

I checked the sump gasket thickness before I install it and it was .021" so doing a gasket delete is risky as you can't check the camshaft end play with the unit together.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:16 am

Just couple tips on them old Briggs dogs that I've used when doing a sump.
I usually try to check the crank end play before pulling the sump but if I have not and I wonder if I can eliminate the sump gasket I'll install the sump with only about 4 of the bolts and leave the bolts loose, then slowly snug up each sump bolt while turning the crank. If it start getting turning resistance I know I need a gasket/gaskets. If I get the bolts snug and it still turns freely I'll see if I have any crank end play, at least .002.
I've put few of them dogs together using Yamaha bond 4 and no gasket with good long term results. I prefer not using the paper gasket but if I have to I use the gasket I use Yamaha bond very sparingly on each side wiping a very thin coat on each side of the very cleaned aluminum with one finger so as to cement the thin and clean dry paper gasket in place and not excess squeezing of excess to the inside of the block. I seen what I think is a weal compression mating surface and as the gasket gets old/slick and thinner it just starts leaking. I had to take one apart sometimes back that I had done without the gasket using only Yamaha bond due to the wimpy compression release breaking and I had to carefully keep going around the sump with a rubber mallet to get the sump loose.
I prefer the Yamaha Bond for this sump area sealing instead of the weaker RTV.
The Yamaha Bond 4 is more expensive than the RTV, BUT I just store the unused tube portion a fridge and it lasts forever (will last over a year) for re-use later.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum