• Advertisement

Electrical Problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Electrical Problem

Postby bob » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:34 am

I am kind of using Arkie's suggestion about HVAc transformer except I used a battery charger. I connected battery charger to the diconnected wire connector at voltage regulator and now have regulator and stator disconnected from circuit, just using wire going to fuse etc, I replaced 20 amp fuse with ammeter and started engine. Ammeter shows 2amps. So would that not show everything good beyond voltage regulator and my problem is still with stator or regulator or both ?

I also took your suggestion Kevin to get away from it for a day and decided to do some wood splitting today only to find wood splitter will not start and looks like no spark(another electric problem). I then looked at my digital weather display to see the temperature and it was blank. I am lucky that I enjoy challenges like this. LOL. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:13 pm

So your weather system took the day off too. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:05 pm

bob wrote:I am kind of using Arkie's suggestion about HVAc transformer except I used a battery charger. I connected battery charger to the diconnected wire connector at voltage regulator and now have regulator and stator disconnected from circuit, just using wire going to fuse etc, I replaced 20 amp fuse with ammeter and started engine. Ammeter shows 2amps. So would that not show everything good beyond voltage regulator and my problem is still with stator or regulator or both ?

I also took your suggestion Kevin to get away from it for a day and decided to do some wood splitting today only to find wood splitter will not start and looks like no spark(another electric problem). I then looked at my digital weather display to see the temperature and it was blank. I am lucky that I enjoy challenges like this. LOL. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

GO BACK TO BED for couple days and only get up to eat and use the rest room but if possible use a bed pan to limit your activity until Murphy leaves.. Next time you get out of bed get out on the other side. ;)

Good to see that he is now visiting someone else other than me..
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:27 pm

bob wrote:I am kind of using Arkie's suggestion about HVAc transformer except I used a battery charger. I connected battery charger to the diconnected wire connector at voltage regulator and now have regulator and stator disconnected from circuit, just using wire going to fuse etc, I replaced 20 amp fuse with ammeter and started engine. Ammeter shows 2amps. So would that not show everything good beyond voltage regulator and my problem is still with stator or regulator or both ?

Thought occurs to me: leave the ammeter in place of the fuse and hook your alternator/vr back in place and see if ammeter reading changes. If it does not, unhook, replace fuse, and put ammeter in-line between Volt Regulator and the Harness connector, and see if there is any difference. ? (Of course you do risk killing your ammeter if it isn't built to take 20 amos..?)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 pm

You need to pay attention to the amps on the battery charger. (right at the battery charger output) It's the supply that has replaced the engines regulator and stator. Their can be a additional DC amps between the ammeter you are reading NOW and the supply. (in the wire loom harness before the ammeter) Summary: monitor the DC amps coming out of the battery charger.
If it is still is only showing same or low amps right at the charger output the regulator itself will be the suspect and need tested. It could be possible for a voltage regulator if the full wave type to have one bad rectifier and sending OUT both AC and DC and this would overload the AC stator voltage's output and not quite enough current to open the 20 amps fuse but burn out the stator. (when you see your stator volts drop from 30vAC to 8 it's overloaded and going to smoke fast, which you have already witnessed twice)
Is your regulator the three wire type? (two wire for the stator and one wire for the B= out and a ground block? (can you post up a picture or part number of your regulator you are using????
If this is type regulator (3 wire with ground) we can test with ohmmeter by comparing both white stator wires to the B+ out wire. Both white wires should test EXACTLY the same when using Ohmmeter to the B+ output. White wire to white wire at the regulator should read open or high amps, each white wire to B+ out should read same both forward and reversing the Ohmmeter leads.

Most generally 24volt control transformers @ around $15 are 40VA, 40watts/24volts=1.66666AC amps, so fuse at not over 2 amps to prevent overheating.
But wait few days and maybe Murphy will leave you. He has been causing me several different problems on a Briggs engine. (different things fail daily but on different days on this engine, carb one day, magneto next day, valve lash adjuster came loose another day)Not all same day, about time I think it's Ok down it goes. :(

Patience. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:17 am

Just a little update. I am almost sure i need both coil and VR replaced now. I followed most of everybodies suggestions and came to the conclusion that if I bypass stator and VR everything is fine drawing about 4 amps and not blowing a 5amp safety fuse I used Arkie's idea of using a ac transformer in replace of stator. I used my door bell transformer hooked it up and smoked it. I did not use the idea of fusing at transformer and paid the price. Right now I am using only as a test a Dual stator with diode to charge battery and again it is using about 4 amps, no fuse blowing and no stator burning up, will not try electric PTO as I am sure it would not handle it.
The regulator I am using is the 3 wire style and it a Briggs. As stated earlier I have replaced stator and VR before from Amazon. I think the real question is which one destroyed the other and just kept my problem going. Anyone I am going to order a new stator and VR and this time I will try and monitor everything better (using fuses) and hopefully solve my problem
bob
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:16 am

Why don't you test the electric PTO while you are awaiting the replacement parts? Disconnect it install a jumper set with a 5-7 amp fuse, connect to a 12v battery and see want its current draw is. It should not blow the 7 amp fuse actually shouldn't blow a 5 amp fuse. Or do ohms test to see if it is above 1.7 ohms.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:22 am

I'm also wondering why you have not used a Ohmmeter and checked your 3 wire regulators.

Also as KE4AVB suggests at least check the current draw on the PTO clutch also.

Murphy is watching you. ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum