• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor PTO Bolt

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Tractor PTO Bolt

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:32 am

Would not hurt as it will act as a thread sealant too.

As get older you will find the need for extra equipment. With my back problems I use the 2T engine crane here a lot. Yes I know it is over kill but when it takes some moving around a longer period my back thanks me the next day. But I am considering one of those gantry crane as the folding legs of the current crane keep getting in the way. I just don't like the idea of leaving it out in the weather.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:38 am

KE4AVB wrote:Would not hurt as it will act as a thread sealant too.

As get older you will find the need for extra equipment. With my back problems I use the 2T engine crane here a lot. Yes I know it is over kill but when it takes some moving around a longer period my back thanks me the next day. But I am considering one of those gantry crane as the folding legs of the current crane keep getting in the way. I just don't like the idea of leaving it out in the weather.

I use winches a lot now.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:48 am

I would love a gantry. I just don't have the space for it when it's not in use. I've been imagining building my own that is fixed to the wall on one side and folds away when not in use. I may just break down and get a normal one. I have a chain hoist but my garage has trusses, unfortunately. I'm afraid I'll bring the ceiling down on top of me, especially with a snow load.

I had injured my arm 2 weeks ago helping a friend move something. My ego tells me I usually wouldn't have had a problem pulling this engine out. I thought I was healed but I just reinjured it. I'm old enough now to be injured but still young enough to think I won't be. It's a deadly combination. I still want that crane though.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Pain is a great motivator.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:36 pm

I got everything back together just now. I went 5lbs under on the dry torque spec. My thought process was that the loctite is slippery and the threads are obviously not pristine as some material was removed toward the end. If I'm off base on that, please let me know. There's still time to put another 5lbs on that bolt I'm sure. I was going to let it sit overnight before I tried any testing to let the loctite set up.

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:42 am

Lefty, My machinist says he was taught that as long as you got good threads length twice to diameter of the screw you will achieve max holding strength and anything after that is just a plus.

I was worried about using some 5/8" length Heli coils here for the 5/16 screws until he told me that. Sure enough I can torque those 5/16-18 screws to 27 ft-lbs and they are holding. So in your case if you got 7/8" of good threads then you are golden.
to go to 55 ft-lbs. But yes you want to torque less when using liquid Loctite as it is considered a lube.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:02 am

Thank you very much
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum