• Advertisement

Pro Gen 5000 Coleman Powermate

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Pro Gen 5000 Coleman Powermate

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:12 pm

I bought an old generator that has been sitting since 2004 that had gas left in it. It has a 9 hp briggs model # 185432 type 0606E1 code 99110949
I drained the oil out it and flipped it over to access the carburetor because it looks like a pain to remove. Removed bowl easy that way. Needle valve was stuck. Had to use a heat gun to warn it up so it would come out and I would say I need one. I cleaned it but it still wouldn't run and leaked so I need carburetor work.

Before I did anything I took a can of starting fluid with upper cylinder lubricant and made it run long enough to see it would generate power. It wouldn't so I did the electric drill trick turning drill backward with my hand and was able to get it to start making power. Burns a light bulb now when spraying starting fluid in carburetor. Wouldn't generate power until I did the drill trick.

This generator came from a natural company and the person I got it from worked at that company. He said he doubt it had 5 hours on it if that. He said they bought it new in 2001.

How hard are these carburetors to remove ? I assume the emulsion tube is plugged up ? I don't have a Ultrasonic cleaner which it might need to make it run correct again. I don't want to use an aftermarket carburetor and would like to make this one run again.
Any suggestions ? Anyone had experience with one of these older generators ? Most of what I find it China generators and this one seems to be made pretty good. I know parts would be hard to find but really if I get it running it shouldn't need much.
Part number for the needle valve is Briggs & Stratton 715155 . Price is sort of high $21.36 on the one I found . I would pay that if that's all I would need. Thoughts
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Pro Gen 5000 Coleman Powermate

Postby RoyM » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 pm

Wil it produce power each time you try to run it? If you have to excite it with the drill each time the rotor has lost it's residual magnetism and is a lost cause.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:12 pm

Yes, I tried it three times. I let it sit for an hour and tried it . Worked perfect. I got an another generator that did the same thing. I let it sit for a few years after I used the drill and its never failed me. I read where its common on some of these to do this after sitting for a long time.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:28 pm

I'd say you're gonna need to pop that carb off one way or another - its easy enough - pop the air cleaner off, (remove nuts from carb studs) then, double up the nuts on one stud to remove the stud, slip it back in and thread it a couple threads in by hand, double nut the other stud to remove that one, and likewise slip it back in by hand just to hold things (like a third hand) so you can then loosen the carb, disconnect fuel line, and then remove studs and unhook carb from linkages. easy peasy. Only hitch in the plan may be if the generator's frame prevents easy removal of the air filter housing. I'd try and clean and preserve the original carb first before going aftermarket, but I would not waste time trying to clean up and rebuild if it was badly gunked up or corroded so far that you're gonna need ultrasonic cleaner - If you cant get it clean without ultrasonic, nothing else you do will make it work, TBH, so only option would be finding a good used carb or going aftermarket china clone.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:43 pm

ANd you can download the Briggs portable generator service manuals and read them over about re-energizing the alternator.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:56 pm

bgsengine wrote:I'd say you're gonna need to pop that carb off one way or another - its easy enough - pop the air cleaner off, (remove nuts from carb studs) then, double up the nuts on one stud to remove the stud, slip it back in and thread it a couple threads in by hand, double nut the other stud to remove that one, and likewise slip it back in by hand just to hold things (like a third hand) so you can then loosen the carb, disconnect fuel line, and then remove studs and unhook carb from linkages. easy peasy. Only hitch in the plan may be if the generator's frame prevents easy removal of the air filter housing. I'd try and clean and preserve the original carb first before going aftermarket, but I would not waste time trying to clean up and rebuild if it was badly gunked up or corroded so far that you're gonna need ultrasonic cleaner - If you cant get it clean without ultrasonic, nothing else you do will make it work, TBH, so only option would be finding a good used carb or going aftermarket china clone.

Thanks for the reply.
I am going to try my best and use this OEM carburetor. Its pretty bad . Don't think I ever run into one I had this much trouble removing the needle valve. I took a toothpick and cleaned up the seat. It was also bad.
I may try and remove it this weekend. May even try tomorrow if I get time. Wish the carburetor cleaner worked like it did in the 70's but it don't. I guess I will purchase the needle valve if I have any luck getting the carburetor clean and see what happens. I think I can reuse the carburetor bowl gasket. I hope anyway.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:21 pm

KE4AVB wrote:ANd you can download the Briggs portable generator service manuals and read them over about re-energizing the alternator.

Where can I safely download a service manual ?
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:39 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:ANd you can download the Briggs portable generator service manuals and read them over about re-energizing the alternator.

Umm downloads, manuals & links of this forum? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1803
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:54 pm

bgsengine wrote:
jerkputter123 wrote:

Umm downloads, manuals & links of this forum? http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1803

Thanks so much. Now to locate which one I need to be reading. Good stuff
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:34 pm

No matter what I have tried I just can't get this carburetor to run . I didn't buy the needle valve because of the price and not sure it would work anyway. I know the old one won't work without leaking no matter how many times I have tried to clean it. Any suggestions on an aftermarket one for this engine ? Right now that's my only option.
jerkputter123
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum