• Advertisement

Chinese Cube Carbs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Chinese Cube Carbs

Postby Mek-a-nik » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:23 am

Lately, I've seen kits that include a carb, AF, plug, grommets, and fuel lines for small two strokes on eBay and Amazon for as little as $12-$15.

I've used a few, and only had trouble with one spark plug; carbs and other stuff have been fine.

Have I been lucky? It's not worth repairing the original carb at these prices.

I figured you guys that do this all the time would have experience.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Chinese Cube Carbs

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:29 am

I don't have much experience with these Chinese cubes. So far it has been a crap shoot. Most I have tried don't work right out of the box requiring mods if I can figure out what is wrong.

I right now I got a TB tiller coming back with float type carburetor that worked fine in the shop but now is flooding like the original carb was doing. Won't what is wrong until the tiller comes into the shop again.

But from I am hearing thru the the grape vine is they are getting better at making these.

I am going try a couple later this week or next week just depends my work load and the weather.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:41 am

Just my limited experience with the clone cube carbs.
I have mixed success with the small cube clones, but I have Amazon Prime and can get a full refund if no go, but I've had about a 80% success rate.
I have to view the clones carefully, some are close but no cigar when listed as a replacement and I've had to do slight mods to the air box on couple when mounting to get the choke/throttle levers clearance correct.
Some of the small 2 cycle stuff I'm seeing is not worth even trying a OEM kit or carb vs time to try a kit vs OEM price so I just throw a $15 clone (usually with a carb, spark plug/ and fuel lines with filters and if no go not a great loss, it just goes to the salvage for use as donor parts. (vs OEM stuff prices)
Do expect to do some careful/gentle carb tuning with the clones and not strip the jet splines or the tool. I also try to buy a carb that comes with the jet tool because even though I have several of the tools some new jet tools are surfacing as close but no cigar for the tool needed.

I actually have better success rate with the clone small cubes replacements vs the larger Nikki clones replacements.
I try to rebuild the Nikki OEMs, but can find clone kits on the cheap and not have to get the OEM hi8gher priced kits.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess they are what I figured they are- junk. But for as cheap as they are, they may save a piece of equipment that otherwise wouldn't be worth fixing.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum