• Advertisement

Carburetor O-Ring

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Carburetor O-Ring

Postby lefty » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:34 am

This is a general question. I run into this problem a lot and was wondering what the fix might be.

Given that I'm part time, it often takes me a couple days to make repairs. I'll open a carb up, clean it and may not assemble it again until a day or two later. The bowl gasket/o-ring is often too small at that point.
I'm assuming it shrinks as it dries out in the air. Is there a way to stretch it back out so it will fit in the slot in the carb body? Hot water soak? Oil? It appears in decent condition but I'm afraid to stretch it over fears of breaking it.
When I research it, I find solutions for the opposite problem. I seldom encounter orings that have stretched. Mostly shrunken ones.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Carburetor O-Ring

Postby SUKI » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:51 am

Well I have seen a few Tecumseh fuel bowl to swell when exposed to E10 fuels but have never came shrinking O-rings bowl gasket. Maybe because I am always replacing them in the first place but that may just be me.

Now if they shrinking when not exposed to fuel then soaking them in the fuel for awhile may re-expand them.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby creia » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:54 am

I really cannot answer your question as I always replace the carb o-ring if I am cleaning and/or rebuilding a carb.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:17 pm

My experience is carb cleaner expnds them but will usually dry back to size.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:25 pm

Yup. My experience is like others - but I'll go a step further and say that also my experience with the shrunken ones means they are basically dry rotted - The fuel washed out some of the components of the rubber o-ring without breaking the bonds of the rubber itself, as the fuel evaporates from it, the o-ring shrinks .. In other words, if your o-ring shrank, it's definitely past time to replace it anyways. - So, my advice to anyone doing any carb work, if you are not going to immediately put it back together, plan on getting yourself some new o-rings and gaskets. As a general rule, I'll try and have gaskets, diaphragms, etc already on hand for the carb in question before even starting work on it - sometimes that means waiting a week or two to get parts shipped in, but it is far better than discovering that you can't GET parts anymore, and without the important o-rings, you're basically SOL and going to need a new carb (if you can even get one)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:06 am

Thank you
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:02 am

I've felt your pain. ;)
I do as bsengine suggests, but if the o-ring bowl gasket looks ok for maybe re-use I leave it in gasoline to try to keep it at same size from drying out while I'm cleaning the carb. Once one has shrunk and dried it's usually a SOL. I do the same thing with some gaskets, diaphragms, etc.

If I suspect the carb or any other part is a dinosaur egg type I check on-line first to get an idea how carefully I need to handle the vintage part. I then know before hand how carefully I need to proceed with the ONE vintage egg.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Thanks.
I ultimately ended up getting it to work by soaking it in oil overnight and then some gentle stretching. I would have loved to replace it but the kit was 1/2 the price of a new carb. I thought of an aftermarket and picked one up but I'm always more comfortable with the OEM. At least I have it here in the event I need it. The best price I was able to find on the kit was like $75. It comes with a float but I thought that was a little excessive when all I needed was the bowl gasket.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:23 am

It sure would have help if you posted the equipment info as I might have a PN for the o-ring or an alternate repair kit. This price and with a float sounds like a Kohler carburetor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:45 am

PS-SV530-3222 Serial: 4508402463

Sorry. I had posted it with another topic and must have missed it here.
lefty
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum