• Advertisement

Kohler Valve Leaking

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Kohler Valve Leaking

Postby lefty » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:11 pm

Actually. I did it again with different results. Maybe not enough grease the first time.

What are the chances that the top of the valve is either out of round or warped? Or is it more likely that the head is warped?

I ask because I just put my drill in a vice and the valve in the chuck. It looks to me that the top of the valve kind of wobbles a tiny bit up and down. The stem looks straight. It's tough to tell though by the naked eye though. I thought of rigging up a crude dial indicator but I can't say for certain that if I found any movement in the stem it wasn't due to my chuck being slightly out of wack.

Edit: Maybe the most logical thing would be to get a new valve. I know that's not the most scientific method but I think it's like $20. Not that I'm quitting on the diag process. Just spitballing.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:42 pm

Ever gave any thought to that it might a worn valve guide allowing the valve stem to rock sideways?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:16 pm

I did but I can't feel any play.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:53 pm

I just gave the valve a few wacks with a brass hammer and then lapped it in again. It looks like it's sealed up now as I can't see any light anymore. So now is the time to stake it as suggested?. So I just want to move a bit of metal all around the seat? This will be my first time performing this operation. Any suggestions are appreciated.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:12 pm

if the seat ain't loose, staking it likely won't do much. But if you looked close while whacking the valve in and saw the seat shift, it may be *just* loose , in which case, all you do is take a center punch and just tape a few dimples at even spaces (in a crossing pattern - much like torquing a head) usually 6 to 8 dimples would be sufficient - just enough to lightly nudge a bit of soft aluminum a little tighter against the sides of the seat. nothing too deep or too heavy or you risk deforming the seat or cocking it at an odd angle. Staking is best done with the valve springs installed on valve once everything else is set.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:51 am

Thanks. I performed that process and relapped. I couldn't see any light.

I got the head back on this morning. The numbers are substantially better. Before, I was putting in 50psi and holding 30psi.
Now I'm putting in 100psi and holding 92psi. I can still hear some leaking out of the intake though. Can I assume this is the best I'm going to do without buying a new head?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:37 pm

I finally put this one to bed. I ended up bringing the valve and head to my local shop and they ground the valve for me. Although Originally, they had offered to cut the seat but when I went to pick it up, they told me they didn't have a pilot that would fit into the guide. I thought that was strange since they're a decent-sized dealer/shop. But I figured that they probably don't work on a lot of courage motors since most people probably wouldn't be willing to spend the money on the equipment that they're typically found in due to cost. But honestly, I have no idea. Anyway, after a good lapping everything worked out and it runs great. Thanks for the help.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum