• Advertisement

Some days you can't win for losing...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Some days you can't win for losing...

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:43 pm

I got a supposedly simple job. Deck throwing belts. not charging, and RR flat. Well found moving idler arm completely worn out, a three inch thorn in the tire, and bad regulator. Okay got those repaired.

Found that the mower needed a drive belt and hydro fan.

Then the engine only run on full choke. Found carburetor very dirty and wrong jets. Well that got the engine running well even the deck engaged.

Then I was going to fix the #2 rocker cover leak. Pulled the cover to only find both push rods off. Exhaust belt and intake broken in half. Apparently the engine was ran too lean for a long time. Carb jet were supposed to be 1.18 and 1.22 but they were 1.11 and 1.14. Now it is pull oil pan find the other half of the intake push rod and replace the #2 cylinder head. Then it pull the hydro to put on a new 10 blade in place of the one with three blades.

Boy I hate working on something that a DIYer has royally screwed up. A simple $200 job is now nearly $1000. And I probably get stuck with the mower.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Some days you can't win for losing...

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:31 pm

now you know why I quit the business. costs more to fix 'em than they be worth... if open for business and depend on profitability to earn a living (or at least pay the business bills and have a little extra left over) you can't afford to turn away work, but you can't afford to NOT turn away work (being picky about what you work on and who you do work for), or bills don't get paid... I have started doing some minor jobs on the side again (just a few very very select customers that I KNOW won't care how much, and KNOW they take care of their stuff, and they don't buy cheap junk that you can no longer get parts for..) but those are very few and very far between , so if I am lucky, I might make a couple hundred extra a year.

Speaking of extra money, I just found out that to keep running ads on the site, I have to update and upgrade it to meet EUROPEAN laws... Screw 'em. On the other hand, WITHOUT that extra income from the ads, this website will have to be shut down, most likely within the next 12 months, unfortunately, unless I can find a buyer (or folks are willing to do paid subscription - I'd have to look into something like limiting help requests, or pay a $2.00 fee to post requests for aid in the Tech Forum... or something... Any ideas?)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:25 pm

It's not that I mind doing the work I just they would tell everything instead of me finding it as I progress through a repair job as I have other work schedule for the same day. This one took me off for over half a day. Now of course I will have to write-off a good chunk of my labor now. I'm going to try to get engine reworked Sunday if not too hot. I fought with it today just getting the engine drive belt pulley off that L130.

Those JD manuals can be expensive to buy at times but I got to have them here. I got lucky on the last manual as I got one for $35. I didn't it right away but I do have one customer with a E180 that he melted all the front plastics down.
Those leaves he was mowing cost him $2300 to repair his new four month old mower.

I just now recouping from borrowing the money for the stimulus checks that I still have not gotten as the morons at the IRS keeps changing my name to where I can't cash the darn checks.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:19 am

Bit like mine. Lady say the muffler fell off and she ran over it. Just been sitting she says. Yes, for so long front flat tire is toast, fuel tank leaks, carb totalling gmmed, blades won't turn, deck belt shredded. Expected to just helicoil and an used muffler on it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:48 am

It would nice if the customers would note all the known problems. I had a Bad Boy in the shop because according to the customer the choke quit working so he removed it.

Well after I reinstalled the choke the carb was flooding. Fixed that and went to reseal the rocker covers. With # sealed up went over to #2. Both push rods off with the exhaust bent. Rocker stud had backed out. Okay got that fixed.

Started and engaged deck no abnormal noise. Called for to come and pickup the mower. Well he did a test run and deck had bearing noise. He said knew about it but did not mention it when brought the mower in. We just left it there and if the bearing goes out he be back. Hopefully he don't destroy an expensive spindle housing.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby hanz63 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:57 am

I think that this time of year shakes out some of that trash. Fortunately, I don't get much during the busy times.
This week:
Had a Deere Scotts that originally had a duel choke / throttle control. Both cables hooked up to the throttle arm on a single control system-Intek twin. Can of VP fuel that he somehow dumped into the air box to start the thing. Not a tire that would hold air, half the bearings on the thing had totally left the chat as they would say. Then for some reason as the season winds down, the mowers that haven't run in 3,5, 10 years fall from the sky.
In 5 years , HD wants to sell 85% battery mowers. . .
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum