• Advertisement

Kohler CV23/25

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler CV23/25

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:25 am

I don't know the engine size right now without pulling the head.

But got a strange oil leak. It is head gasket or the rocker cover gasket. With UV dye it looks like it leaking where the oil return passage is. Otherwords no UV dyed oil around head bolt and no UV dyed oil on the rocker cover bolt but is showing up the channel between the two. IF this true then it is the first one I ever seen in 14+ yrs of working on these engines.

I am going to order a new and rocker cover after I measure the cylinder diameter as there is no label on this engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kohler CV23/25

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:05 pm

Owner say he has an identical engine that he can bring in for parts. I have wait a week and see if this is so. He is current in route to New Mexico.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 pm

FWIW head gaskets fail at the oil return hole on these -pressurizing the engine crankcase. Though I'm struggling to see an external leak from there. Hmmm. Maybe time for another cup of joe.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Yes they do but it should still leak only at the head gasket seam or the head bolt but this one does neither. I even tried RTV on the rocker cover just to be sure it wasn't it and when I pulled the cover this morning there was a complete seal indication.

But I known to get weird problems in from customers that DIYer their equipment.

Just got through with a JD L120 where the reported problems was RR going flat, throwing deck belt, and needing a voltage regulator. It ended being those plus several other problem like drive belt failing, 10 blade hydro with only three blades, an incorrect carburetor jetting, rocker cover leaking like sieve. The carburetor had to be rejetted as it had a 110 and a 114 when it was to have a 118 and 122. When I pulled the rocker cover both push rods were off with the aluminum have gone. Engine crankcase had to be pulled, new push rods and new cylinder kit. Valve guide move a lot and a blown head head gasket. Suspect the running way lean on #2 was the root cause, no mouse bed found. NO wonder it only ran on full choke.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:15 pm

Wonder if you could have a porous casting... ?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:52 pm

L series . The gift that keeps on giving.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:42 am

hanz63 wrote:L series . The gift that keeps on giving.

Can you enlighten me a little? I only been in the small engine for 14 yrs and I have not that heard term referred to Kohler engines.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:45 pm

No shade on the Kohler engine. The L120 that you were referring to that had a grocery list of issues, probably the biggest of which may have been its owners thumbs. It tends to be a thing with these. Made good money off the L series and so has any Deere parts counter.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:57 am

hanz63 wrote:No shade on the Kohler engine. The L120 that you were referring to that had a grocery list of issues, probably the biggest of which may have been its owners thumbs. It tends to be a thing with these. Made good money off the L series and so has any Deere parts counter.

Yes it is one very few L series I get in. This one general has been abused and had a several DIY repair hatchet repairs. I got it straighten out mostly. Surprisingly the hood is still intact.

I don't see any major defects other than somewhat normal wear and tear for an abused mower. Now the deck has eat up the bottom of the steering but that from slamming against it where the user going places that cause to max out on height.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:56 pm

In their defense, less broken frames on the L series Etc. than the Hops. I mean the days of putting in front axles seem to have way lessened, less steering gears than before plus a few other things. Unless someone else is doing the dirty work. I do lots of PM on entry Deere through the 5 series, which is strangely X3 and X5 skipping X4. Which is fine by me.
Today was odd. A pile of small stuff from a widow who killed everything she was using by putting some fuel type substance he had in a gas can. He used to take good care of things. I kinda gulped when I saw the first couple. But then she went on to say he had some physical and other issues. So in the end he gets good thoughts sent into the ethers for doing as well as he did. Far and away from the farmers that used to wire everything together, nails for deck pins etc etc etc.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum