• Advertisement

PCV question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

PCV question

Postby SUKI » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:47 am

I have a Briggs 49M977-1036-G5 2013 that giving me fits.

Two year I replace sump gasket as oil was leaking and the gasket looked like Swiss cheese. This year it back with the same problem. Replaced the gasket again and the customer made a few rounds and the illiterately blew the gasket out again.

I pretty this a crankcase problem but just want to see if others has the same opinion that I might have bad positive crankcase vent valve that is failing to open or could something else being going on.

I have yet done a leak down test for a bad head gasket but on the list to do this time around.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: PCV question

Postby hanz63 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:27 am

These are pretty simple reed breathers. Now that it is apart, does it pass the mouth test? Carbon on the plugs? Still, I'm of the mind that there have been plenty of failed head gaskets out there that never created a sump gasket failure. Maybe my sampling is too small.

A rule that I have on sumps, heads and the like, is manually loosening the fasteners so I get a feel for what held and what didn't. I never ever warranty any engine repair that has had sump bolts loosen. Briggs went to sealant years ago on the twins, I'm guessing for this reason.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:27 pm

You could use a manometer to verify if the crankcase has a vacuum or positive pressure.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:17 pm

The problem appeared to have been the lousy gasket material Briggs had gasket made out of. I went with some after market gaskets and they are holding up fine. I actually repaired a second engine that used the same gasket but I had to open up because of a push rod in the crankcase problem.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum