• Advertisement

Rato engine oil level

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Rato engine oil level

Postby 38racing » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:01 pm

Canadian tire here in canada is selling walk behind mower with rato engines. I'm working on my neighbour's. Checking oil I find a dipstick with a hole near the end and another 1/2 inch above it. His oil level was 1/2 inch above the top hole. I assumed it was overfilled. So I sucked it all out and filled with the specified 600 ml. It is still showing a half inch high. I measured what I had sucked out. 600ml. The manual does says check without screwing stick in and I did it that way. Initially couldn't see any reference to the dots but now found that and it say oil should be between the dots. So I'm puzzled. Did he have it ovefilled and I only sucked out 600 and left another 200ml say. Then adding my 600 I brought it back to his overfull level? Guess I I have to tip it up and see how muc comes out that way
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Rato engine oil level

Postby 38racing » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:37 pm

So tipped right over. Got just under 600ml. Refilling it's at the full hole at 400ml. Going to google somemore for the spec capacity. Already connected customer support but no reply.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:38 pm

Never seen a Rato engine myself, but I presume made in China just like the powermore engines - I would never trust their dipstick if the oil level "seems off" I'd drain as completely as possible and refill with known spec amount, then mark the dipstick myself if it needs altered. (I've had to do that on even Tecumseh engines in the past, as sometimes owners, dealers, box stores, etc will just swap out another "will fit" dipstick and call it good...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:39 pm

Ok 600 was from an engine specs site. Found a rato Europe pdf that says 500ml.
Interesting is rv170 shows at 600 but rv175 at 500.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:20 pm

38racing wrote:Ok 600 was from an engine specs site. Found a rato Europe pdf that says 500ml.
Interesting is rv170 shows at 600 but rv175 at 500.

I'd suggest calling up or visiting Canadian Tire and ask them to look it up in one of their owner's manuals, for the mower model you have - Many mower manuals would have that even if they have a separate engine manual. if you can find an employee willing to do so for you.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:41 am

Are you screwing the dipstick in. They are checked without screwing it in.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:00 am

KE4AVB wrote:Are you screwing the dipstick in. They are checked without screwing it in.

Not screwing in. Looks like I didn't press submit on a post. The manual that says 500 ml is a rato document . So I refilled to 400 ml and it was getting very close to full hole. At 500 it's still basically at full hole. I'm guessing at that point the crankcase narrows significantly so the extra 100ml going to 600 moves further on the dipstick than the previous 100 so lookig very overfull.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum