• Advertisement

Kohler SV830-3018

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler SV830-3018

Postby Gerry » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Got this Kohler on a Husky ZTR MZ5225. Engine MFG 08/04/2013. When I got it was a crank over but no start. Initial work found both rocker arm mounting studs loose and backing out. Fixed studs and decided to do leakdown on both side. Results NUM1: Goes to 0 dont even need to lock the engine. NUM2: Same results. Next did a compression test NUM1: 4 pounds NUM2:128 pounds.

Looking at the oil stick its full but about 60 weight from overuse. Dirt and dust packed around the heads behind the cowling would need to be chisled out...ie no air circulation. Its hard to hear where the air from the leakdown is going sounds mosly into the sump. In yalls experence would it be worth tearing down or just walk away?

Thanks in advance.
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler SV830-3018

Postby bgsengine » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:17 pm

I'd just do a quick pop-the-heads off to confirm it was not something simple/easy to fix (like a stuck valve or complete head gasket blowout which might be fixable with a head kit), and quote on the high side, if I felt that there were no other issues.. (Who knows what else you'll find wrong with it before getting it running) but if it came to doing an engine rebuild, I'd just quote them a new engine (RePower job) and let the customer make the call. Given the condition you found it in with the cooling, I'd never dare risk my reputation on a rebuild attempt... and even then I'd be doing an overall machine inspection for anything else wrong (sounds like a beat up machine) before even thinking about quoting them (Some customers might try to get you to fix it "under warranty" for everything else that goes wrong afterwards because you "just fixed it last month")

But if I had the option to say no before even having it come into the shop, it sounds like a job I would have turned down flat.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum