• Advertisement

Kohler KT-740 flywheel removal.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler KT-740 flywheel removal.

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:23 pm

Just how does Kohler expect to use a tool that does fit? 3-3/4 spread and the only two holes are 5 inches apart and are not to be threaded.

This is the KLR-82408 tool they say to use in the service manual.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kohler KT-740 flywheel removal.

Postby hanz63 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:12 pm

Right or wrong a jaw puller gets them off nicely. I see prices have gone up on these nicely too BTW.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:46 am

Just don't want to damage the ring gear. Anyway I made up a puller to fit the slots. It is an one shot type as the puller arms are weak. I manage to pop it off. Now I just got to get in some tool steel to make some better puller arms. That mild steel just gave too much for me but at least I know I am on the right path for a puller design. The arms were made out a couple Craftsman deck stabilizer arms so they some lowest grade steel they could use.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:41 pm

No need for spiller. Put a long parallel punch or drift into the crank until it bottoms . Carefully put a wide flat pry bar behind the flywheel, exert moderate pull on it and give the punch/drift a sharp smack or two with a lump hammer. The flywheel should shift.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:52 pm

That was the problem it didn't give. But anyway my homemade puller worked without shifting the crankshaft gear. Just going to order some tool to make the new puller arm as the mild steel gave some.

This what left of the cheap steel on this pull. Just a couple recycled mower deck parts.

Definitely can make some improvements for the next pull.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum