• Advertisement

Oregon spark tester 42-087

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Oregon spark tester 42-087

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:44 pm

Boy do I feel like idiot now. Further testing on the v-twin that no problem was reported with show that I have one dead coil as the other side lights up fine. Well my first screw up of the year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:00 am

Well I need to update this a little. Today I was testing a problem with a FX730V. Dead #2 cylinder. Well when I tested using the spark tester to ground I got a good spark indication and none when connected to the plug so I changed the plug still no spark indication but when I pulled the plug it show it had been firing. So I tested the #1 side and got the exact same results with the tester so apparently it only half way works. Arrrrg. I recommend I need to try one those neon testers and consider this Oregon a piece of junk as I getting flakey test results. And this FX730V is bear to check the valves as I have pull the muffler on this JD 652R just to get the rocker cover off.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am

KE4AVB wrote:Well I need to update this a little. Today I was testing a problem with a FX730V. Dead #2 cylinder. Well when I tested using the spark tester to ground I got a good spark indication and none when connected to the plug so I changed the plug still no spark indication but when I pulled the plug it show it had been firing. So I tested the #1 side and got the exact same results with the tester so apparently it only half way works. Arrrrg. I recommend I need to try one those neon testers and consider this Oregon a piece of junk as I getting flakey test results. And this FX730V is bear to check the valves as I have pull the muffler on this JD 652R just to get the rocker cover off.

generally a spark test to ground is less resistance, so no spark when tester is hooked to plug shows your firing voltage may be on the lower weak end of the scale - You really need a KV tester (Echo spark tester has adjustable gap to adjust for an approximate KV firing voltage) So you might just have a marginal ignition module or ignition system pieces?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:03 am

What it comes down to is that I wasted both my time and money on the Oregon Tester and glad I didn't buy the Briggs OEM one.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum