• Advertisement

Similicity electric chute

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Similicity electric chute

Postby lefty » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:54 am

Model: 1696520-00

I'm working on a Simplicity snow blower with an electric chute. It came to me with the chute not working. It looked as if the chute moved all the way to one side and jammed up. I removed and bench-tested the motor, checked the wiring for damage and continuity, and tested the switch. I reinstalled everything. Cleaned terminals and added dielectric, greased gears, and chute ring gear and got everything working again. Initially, I had an occasional hiccup with the chute not responding briefly so I adjusted the position of the motor and the way the teeth meshed and everything seems to work now.

I know that the continuity test doesn't tell the full story on the wiring but It's tough to load test the system with the way the wiring is put together. I'm wondering how the system works. There doesn't seem to be any limit mechanism for when the chute reaches its limit on either side. I'm wondering if the motor just stops when it hits a certain amount of resistance. There also appears to be a rectifier in the system that I'm guessing is for the chute since based on how the switch works, it appears that it it just reverses the current from the stator for each direction.

I guess I'm just wondering how it works so I can figure out if I need to replace any components. I feel good about the wiring, switch, and connectors. I guess the motor could be on its way out but I don't fully understand how it knows when it hits the end. If it's just resistance, then I probably solved the problem with lubrication and adjustment of how the teeth mesh.

Thank you
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Similicity electric chute

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 am

Lefty go to the Briggs downloads/advance service Info directory and download the DSB1057 service bulletin and read it over. It appears some the units had bad switches causing the problem you are describing. May be or may not be your problem but the older switches were allowing moisture to get into the switches.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Similicity electric chute

Postby lefty » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:31 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Lefty go to the Briggs downloads/advance service Info directory and download the DSB1057 service bulletin and read it over. It appears some the units had bad switches causing the problem you are describing. May be or may not be your problem but the older switches were allowing moisture to get into the switches.

Will do. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum