• Advertisement

Stihl 170 oil hose replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stihl 170 oil hose replacement

Postby dennis » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:49 pm

When installing a new oil hose (filter on the end), on a Stihl 170 chainsaw, inserting filter and hose into oil tank, which direction does it go after it is inserted? Does it go to the left (shallow low part of tank) or to the right (main part of tank towards the fill cap)?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Stihl 170 oil hose replacement

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:37 am

What I got for service manual does not cover this but the IPL indicates torward the fill cap.

And this is what is in the service manual on the oil tank.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:07 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB. That is what I have concluded, too from looing around. However, it just seems to me that the other part, shallow part, might be the lowest point and therefore last to drain. But then again, maybe it collects sawdust and crap, and that helps keep the filter clean when the filter is in the main part of the tank.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:32 pm

dennis wrote:Thanks, KE4AVB. That is what I have concluded, too from looing around. However, it just seems to me that the other part, shallow part, might be the lowest point and therefore last to drain. But then again, maybe it collects sawdust and crap, and that helps keep the filter clean when the filter is in the main part of the tank.

The oil hose is flexible, the weight of the filter (which is weighted for that reason) should help the oil pickup to reach the lowest point of the tank, wherever that may be (The lowest point depends on what position the saw is running in!) - the orientation is so that the "default" shape of the hose at rest without filter should place it in front of the oil tank opening so the filter can be installed/replaced/cleaned.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:35 pm

Hi Dennis

A chainsaw isn't always used in the perfectly horizontal position. When cutting firewood, the saw is often nose down and when felling a tree, the machine is on its side. Think about where the oil is going to pool when the machine is in its various operating positions and the oil pickup screen placement will make sense. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Return to Technical Discussion Forum