• Advertisement

Pulsa-Prime Not Priming

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Pulsa-Prime Not Priming

Postby SUKI » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:43 am

My lord the Briggs 795083 is only $3.89 retail at the local shops the last time I had a price update. Even the Stens 520-175 lists for $3.66 but only costs me $1.83 if I meet the minimum free shipping level so usually put on stock orders so I have a couple on hand for quick turn a rounds or over the counter sales. Not really worth selling but it is a good will item.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 38racing » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:35 pm

SUKI wrote:My lord the Briggs 795083 is only $3.89 retail at the local shops the last time I had a price update. Even the Stens 520-175 lists for $3.66 but only costs me $1.83 if I meet the minimum free shipping level so usually put on stock orders so I have a couple on hand for quick turn a rounds or over the counter sales. Not really worth selling but it is a good will item.

from briggs, likely back ordered. I follow a youtube repair fellow. Lately it's been about making snowblower parts for Briggs blowers because part is backorder.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:48 pm

B/O is better than not available at all like the parts for a one year old pressure engine I worked on last year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm

bgsengine wrote:
I'd focus on the seller by going to their feedback pages and read a month's (or 3 month's if they don't have a lot of feedback) comments and look for clues that they're a sorta specialized OPE seller and not just re-selling someone's old stock.

Old stock that has not been stored well (hot storage unit or the like) gaskets and diaphragms tend to get brittle and fall apart easily. I'd be surprised if the no-name or aftermarket parts did not come out of the same exact factory assembly line as the Briggs OEM ones... especially these days when those d&g kits are getting near to obsolete (Though Briggs still sells the even older pulsa-jet and vacu-jet diaphragms - last I knew of in 2019, that is....) Bear in mind the cheap shipping option usually means it ships from china (takes weeks or months to get here) or it goes in a stamped envelope (no tracking, and no guarantee it doesn't come smooshed, mashed or folded) - you DO get what you pay for....

I kind of wanted to get a diaphragm sealed in a plastic wrapper because when they're stored in a box, they tend to dry out.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:15 pm

Most of the aftermarket ones I have ever gotten seem to be sealed in a plastic bag, so...

(Note the old vacu jet and pulsa jets with auto choke rods couldn't be sealed, and those CAN dry out and get stiff over time, but it takes many years - stored in a cool dry location they'll last a long time - I have had 15 year old diaphragms come out of the box like as new... and have gotten 2 year old OEM ones that were stiff and brittle - most likely dealer stock returns..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:27 pm

bgsengine wrote:Most of the aftermarket ones I have ever gotten seem to be sealed in a plastic bag, so...

(Note the old vacu jet and pulsa jets with auto choke rods couldn't be sealed, and those CAN dry out and get stiff over time, but it takes many years - stored in a cool dry location they'll last a long time - I have had 15 year old diaphragms come out of the box like as new... and have gotten 2 year old OEM ones that were stiff and brittle - most likely dealer stock returns..)

I'm just wondering if the aftermarket and genuine diaphragms are all made in the same place.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:
bgsengine wrote:Most of the aftermarket ones I have ever gotten seem to be sealed in a plastic bag, so...

I'm just wondering if the aftermarket and genuine diaphragms are all made in the same place.

Easily could well be. Not uncommon for the same factory to also provide aftermarket product to lesser quality control checks (Meaning the items don't have to meet as stringent standards as the OEM produced ones do, even though they are perfectly serviceable, they might not fit a particular template quite perfectly, might have frayed edges or other cosmetic issues, some do not go through all of the production process (such as forming in a mold to produce a spring "pocket" or going through an extra powder treatment to prevent oxidation in long storage, and so on - extra steps required by an OEM that add to the cost, but aren't strictly necessary for functional parts. )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:10 am

bgsengine wrote:Easily could well be. Not uncommon for the same factory to also provide aftermarket product to lesser quality control checks (Meaning the items don't have to meet as stringent standards as the OEM produced ones do, even though they are perfectly serviceable, they might not fit a particular template quite perfectly, might have frayed edges or other cosmetic issues, some do not go through all of the production process (such as forming in a mold to produce a spring "pocket" or going through an extra powder treatment to prevent oxidation in long storage, and so on - extra steps required by an OEM that add to the cost, but aren't strictly necessary for functional parts. )

I chickened out and ended up ordering the Genuine Briggs & Stratton diaphragm. Now I'll never know if the unbranded version would've worked. I noticed that some of those eBay sellers sell nothing but unbranded parts.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:44 pm

Well my latest 4 helpers are just a little chicken.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum