• Advertisement

Fluid Extractor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Fluid Extractor

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:10 pm

Fluid extractor for emptying out fuel tanks. There's all kinds of them on Amazon. I was wondering if you guys have one that you prefer?

I usually use a turkey baster from the dollar store, but they only work one or two times before the bulb splits out from exposure to gasoline.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Fluid Extractor

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:27 pm

Pick up an inline primer bulb?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:41 pm

The ones on Amazon look like a giant syringe with a clear tube attached to them.

I'm sure they work fine but I don't know how long the O-ring seals will hold up to gasoline.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby Merkava_4 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:13 pm

This is the 200cc version shown. They also have a 500cc version which is equivalent to 1/2 quart.

Merkava_4
Guide

Postby 38racing » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:09 am

You can make one from pail and shop vac.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:This is the 200cc version shown. They also have a 500cc version which is equivalent to 1/2 quart.

I see those listed on Amazon Prime for as cheap as $ 10.00 with free shipping. I doubt that would break the bank, correct? Just order one and try it out and report back to us on the results.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:58 am

I have some very small gas tanks on my Briggs & Stratton equipment. Whenever I leave gasoline sitting in their tanks for more than a week, strange things happen such as pickup screens getting clogged, or corrosion forming in the bottom of the tanks. I feel like now it would be wise to extract the gasoline out if the equipment is going to be left unused for more than a week. To tell you guys the truth, I'd be perfectly happy with a turkey baster if I could find one that's gasoline proof.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:32 am

Merkava_4 wrote:I have some very small gas tanks on my Briggs & Stratton equipment. Whenever I leave gasoline sitting in their tanks for more than a week, strange things happen such as pickup screens getting clogged, or corrosion forming in the bottom of the tanks. I feel like now it would be wise to extract the gasoline out if the equipment is going to be left unused for more than a week. To tell you guys the truth, I'd be perfectly happy with a turkey baster if I could find one that's gasoline proof.

sounds like you're using oxygenated fuel (or, equally as bad, STALE fuel). If you're using the cheapest gas you can find, that likely why. You need *FRESH* pure gas, not an oxygenated or alcohol-added blend (E-10, E-15, E-85 are all bad for small engines!) Alcohol absorbs moisture from the air (Humidity above 0%) and that water content is accelerating corrosion, especially with oxygenated fuels (Which I believe they still mandate in California.)

If you can't find an ethanol free non-oxygenated fuel your only other choice may be to buy canned fuel.

That'd probably solve most of your issues, but pickup screens clogged generally are more indicative of user carelessness at filling time (either the gas can or the engine's tank) Fuel, even fresh ethanol free fuel in modern times can start to go stale in as little as 90 days *FROM THE DATE IT WAS REFINED*

So, if you suspect your fuel is going stale too soon, try a different gas station (Generally a more busy one that gets fuel deliveries on a weekly basis if not more often) Small local mom-n-pop gas stations while I'll always encourage supporting those small local businesses, often do not sell out their fuel quickly enough for it to stay fresh for extended storage.

Also, changing gas stations is a good strategy if you believe you're being careful with your gas cans and filling habits - gas station may have dirty tanks with water entry into them, so a change of gas suppliers can often be the solution.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bluemower » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:58 am

Here is one site that has the non-ethanol fuel locations in California. I don't know if these are regular fuel stations. Also non ethanol can be sourced from small airports.
https://www.pure-gas.org/
bluemower
Guide

Postby creia » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:I have some very small gas tanks on my Briggs & Stratton equipment. Whenever I leave gasoline sitting in their tanks for more than a week, strange things happen such as pickup screens getting clogged, or corrosion forming in the bottom of the tanks. I feel like now it would be wise to extract the gasoline out if the equipment is going to be left unused for more than a week. To tell you guys the truth, I'd be perfectly happy with a turkey baster if I could find one that's gasoline proof.

I agree with Brian- something is funky with the gasoline your are buying- time to change to another supplier. Even with ethanol-laden fuel you should not be having those symptoms in only 1 weeks time. :o I purchase only "regular" unleaded 87 octane (which has ethanol in it). For the last 15 years I have been adding "Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer" to all of my fuel for small engines with very good results. (A little bit goes along ways-very cost effective alternative to buying ethanol free gas) Some of the engines have had the same fuel in them for over a year and I have had ZERO problems.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum