• Advertisement

Ferris PTO Clutch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ferris PTO Clutch

Postby lefty » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Ferris
Model: 5900030
Serial: 2000425664

From what I understand, this came with a 15hp Kawasaki engine. Someone swapped out the engine for an FS600V-GS01-S. It came to me because the PTO bolt had fallen out. I was able to speak with the person who swapped the engine.
They told me that they researched and verified that the new engine was compatible. They told me that the engine mounting bolt holes didn't line up and they drilled a couple of new holes. Before I get into it, I had some questions.

I don't know the exact motor that came on this. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this model and knew if the new engine is compatible. The bits look as if they all line up but the clutch anchor pad is bent. I don't think it's supposed to be bent.
I can't tell if it was bent by the falling clutch or if the prior "tech" bent it in order to get things to fit.

Another concern I have is that the PTO bolt mounts directly above the wheel axle with a small amount of clearance. I'm not sure if that is by design or if the engine was not mounted in the correct position. It looks like it would be difficult to get a torque
wrench in there.

The last guy also told me he put proper torque on the bolt but here we are.

The diagram shows two washers after the spacer on the PTO bolt for SN: 1658 and below. My serial is 2000425664. I'm guessing they're indicating a partial serial of the last 4. This machine does not currently have the 2 washers. I initially thought
that he maybe bottomed out. I plan on pulling the engine off to inspect the crankshaft threads, check depth and try to figure out why this bolt backed out. Maybe it bottomed out, maybe it was not torqued properly. Maybe there was excessive vibration,
from things not lining up right, belts too tight, etc.

I'm also told that the PTO clutch was replaced at the same time the engine was. I really hate coming up behind someone like this but at least I have some access to them.

I apologize if this post is all over the place.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ferris PTO Clutch

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

According Messisck's the original 15hp engine was a FH530V.

And usually that would be the leading serial number break.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

Thank you. I wasn't able to find the 530 but I did find a 531. Assuming the specs are similar, everything seems to match up as far as I can tell in relation to the shaft.
The FS600V appears to have a slightly deeper hole eliminating the possibility of bottoming out.

The footprint of the engine appears larger though. And since they used the two existing mounting holes in the rear, it appears to have pushed the front end of the engine forward on the mounting deck.
My guess is that this also resulted in the shaft being situated more forward resulting in the axle interfering with the PTO bolt installation.

I'm thinking I'll inspect and chase the threads on the crank and replace all of the hardware. I can probably get a proper torque on it if I install with the engine jacked up a few inches.
Once I took everything off I realized that the clutch anchor pad is made of rubber. So the bending was just a result of the PTO sagging without the bolt.

Is anyone against a little blue loctite in this application?

One other thing, the key for the drive pulley was kind of trapezoided out on one end. I believe it's supposed to be rectangular, meaning a chunk is missing. I was planning on replacing that as well. I'm wondering if that could have played a role in how this managed to work itself loose.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 pm

The FH501V and FS600V has the same mounting circle of 10 inches.

Here is the technical specs.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UZ2EUMyU4pAqHNumesHZM2-MyvIFc4YC/view?usp=sharing
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:03 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if the holes on the machine lined up so new holes were drilled.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to use a longer bolt for the PTO. I have the depth in the crank to go to a 3" bolt with room to spare. The diagram calls for a 2.5" bolt. I'm thinking if I can get more thread in there with some blue loctite that it would hold better. But I'm not sure if torque specs would change. Can I go longer?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum