• Advertisement

Tips on removing PTO Clutch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tips on removing PTO Clutch

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:51 pm

I have a 1995 JD GT262 that the drive belt needs replacing. I can't seem to get this PTO clutch to move. Any tricks on how to get it off. This one has never been off. It still works so I don't want to tear it up trying to get to the belt. Maybe the belt will clear PTO without removing it ?? Thanks for any help. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Tips on removing PTO Clutch

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:53 pm

The last one I had stuck I had to use a crowbar and had the retaining screw loose. While applying pressure with the crowbar I was hitting the screw. IT final slide off with the retaining screw catching it before it just fell off.

But have been slowly working on a puller design to do this but I have to wait for stuck clutches to work with.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have the mower jacked way up in the front with my chain hoist and for the life of me I can't see where to put the bar to get it off. Is it right above where the belt runs ? I don't want to bend anything. It is tight up in that area plus I am almost 77 years old but I ain't quit just yet 8-) Need better glasses. :D
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:13 pm

You got to get to the backside of the clutch assy. I just wish there was a puller commercially made that would work myself.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:06 pm

KE4AVB wrote:You got to get to the backside of the clutch assy. I just wish there was a puller commercially made that would work myself.

Thanks again. I got a good picture of a new one and I can now see where I need to pry it. I see the key way now in the picture. I was thinking of hitting the bolt with a hammer where it bolts to crankshaft but I didn't want to mess up anything. Heading back to my shop now to see if I can get it off.
Last edited by jerkputter123 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 pm

I can't thank you enough KE4AVB. I did use some PB Blaster and it helped. I was just about ready to give up and I noticed I could see a gap where the PTO clutch meets the crankshaft. I also noticed Blaster dripping out the bottom :roll:
The old crowbar and hammer did the trick. :D :D :D
Its off and now for the task tomorrow of replacing the belt and checking those idler pulleys. Again thank you so much. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum