• Advertisement

Hard Starting Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hard Starting Generator

Postby bill18163 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:54 pm

I have a Coleman Powermate 7500 Watt Generator. Model #PM0557523, SN79400121. The engine is B&S Model #28N700, Type 1194E1, Code 9812032E, 14.5 HP. This generator does not have a pull cord for starting. It is supposed to have a battery. I use a battery pack to start it when I want to use it. I don't use it much so I keep a note on my computer calendar to start it up every six months. I run it for maybe a half or three quarters of an hour till the fuel runs out. The problem I have is when I am starting it. Like I said previously I run it it till it stops so it has to get fuel to the carb and that takes a lot of cranking. It will eventually start but sometimes the battery pack will run down before it does start and I then use a second battery pack. This unit might have a fuel pump but I have no parts diagram to confirm it but it does look like some kind of a pump in the fuel hose arrangement. I have no idea how it works. I was thinking of putting a manual fuel primer in the fuel line to the carb to pump fuel but I think I will wait for some answers from the forum before I do anything like that.
Thanks,
Bill
bill18163

Advertisement

Re: Hard Starting Generator

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:57 pm

Hi Bill

The engine number you have quoted does not show up in any parts finder website. However, what I would suggest is increasing the run-up schedule to 4 times a year. Get some fresh premium fuel and add a good quality stabilizer like Interlube's Optimizer before putting the fuel in the unit's tank. Start the unit, plug in 2 electric kettles which will give you a 3,000 watt load. Bring both kettles to a full boil and disconnect them. Give the unit 2 minutes to cool off a little and shut it down with the main engine switch.

Properly stabilized fuel can sit in the carburetor for up to 6 months and the engine will still start. By running every 3 months, you'll keep the fuel in the carburetor relatively fresh for when you actually need the generator. Alternatively, install an in-line fuel shut-off valve such as Stens 120-212 in the fuel line next to the carburetor. This way, you can shut the fuel valve off and run the carburetor dry without emptying the entire fuel system. When you come to start the unit again, you'll only need to crank the engine long enough to get an ounce or so of fuel into the carburetor and the engine will fire up. Hope this gives you some ideas. all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Return to Technical Discussion Forum