• Advertisement

Forum Problem with Logins

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Forum Problem with Logins

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:07 pm

Recently there was a software update on the server, it appeared to have broken the forum for logins. It may or may not be fixed now (I just discovered an issue while trying to post this)

If we are unable to fix the issue and logins are still not working for Admin and Users, (I was able to login because of an Auto-Login session that was still "live) We're discussing whether to launch a new forum (which would replace the PPETEN home Page) or just let the forum and hosting expire.

We'll see what happens as we go, and if this post goes through, I will try to update it as we progress on the decision making (It'd mean some radical changes and the "pretty design" and logo would go away.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Advertisement

Re: Forum Problem with Logins

Postby creia » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:10 pm

I experienced a problem with this yesterday (Tuesday, 4/9/24), however, it is working OK today.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:28 pm

OK good to see someone's able to login and reply besides me. We'll see how things go from here.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:43 pm

Brian, Looks like you got it working. Apparently only the founder could login. Now I get back to doing my paperwork here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Brian, Looks like you got it working. Apparently only the founder could login. Now I get back to doing my paperwork here.

Wasn't the founder - (Gasaholic) - Couldn't login with that one until I checked the remember me checkbox , and even then couldn't get to forum admin. This login (bgsengine) is just a regular ol' member login. (Back then I was using that setup in case my regular login got intercepted by some malicious javascript, which was possible to do back then, if one was not vigilant, until that hole got fixed a couple months later on.)
Only reason I hadn't seen any issues was my session was still active and I frequently check forum 2-3 times a day to see if there's anything new - Wasn't until I went to create this post that I spotted the corrupt database problem (Thankfully this old forum software dosn't entirely block or capture php error reporting)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm

bgsengine wrote: We're discussing whether to launch a new forum (which would replace the PPETEN home Page) or just let the forum and hosting expire.

We'll see what happens as we go, and if this post goes through, I will try to update it as we progress on the decision making (It'd mean some radical changes and the "pretty design" and logo would go away.)

Just to update on that commentary: After talking it over with KE4 we're considering doing the former - Generally if or when we decide to do that, the forum will revert to the ppeten home page, so the /forums/ part of the URL would not be needed. That way I'd just keep this one sitting here but lock it out from future postings, but it'd still be searchable for archival purposes. (New forum software looks much more modernized on the admin side, so not as labor intensive to rebuild some of the custom features I added to this one over the years.)

Probably would not happen until after the busy spring/summer Small engine repair season, so possibly August/September/October or thereabouts, IF (Huge If) it happens.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum