• Advertisement

Tachometer battery

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tachometer battery

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:42 pm

I have an archer one similar to echo pet. This winter it wouldn't come on. I figured it was too cold in shop so brought it inside. Now comes on but shortly goes off. I opened it up and battery voltage is only 2v. Being a coin battery I'm assuming that it should be 3v. It's soldered in of course, not meant to replace but it's 75 pus tax $cdn for a new one. I've ordered wired coin holders from Amazon and will try to solder the leads to the solder beads on the existing battery and just run them out the cover to the holder.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tachometer battery

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 am

Personally I would disconnect the internal battery as it will probably just drain the new battery.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 am

Thanks. Never thought of that. Not a great electronic solder person but the way this battery is in I might be able to break top connection with a dremel.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 am

Soldering is fairly simple when you use the right equipment. Shouldn't need an iron hotter than a 30w; although, a hotter one might be due the battery heat sinking the connection. To me it is like ACE/OX welding but at a much lower temp. Rosin core solder is what is needed. No acid core solder. At 60/40 or 63/37 solder fairly easy to come by when compared the price of Silver solder that I had buy an one troy ounce of earlier. Now that stuff is expensive.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum