• Advertisement

Kohler Twin needs a stator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Twin needs a stator

Postby Dale_W » Mon May 06, 2024 3:03 pm

Its a Kohler K582 (K582eS ?) Hard to tell since the badging is so old.
Spec 36294
Serial 2309109575

For quite some time the stator puts out very low AC voltage. I don't remember what it was, but it was less than the manual called for.
So I ordered a new stator. Got the flywheel off and I am not sure if it matters which side of the stator faces outward.
My guess is it does not matter, or it would be marked. The way the leads are attached to the stator I'd say it does not matter.

Am I ok with putting it on either way?

thanks

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Twin needs a stator

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 06, 2024 4:05 pm

Look at which direction the lead wires come out of the stator at the ring - they should point towards one "face" of the stator - that side goes towards engine, otherwise you'd have to fold wires back over inside of stator mounting ring and that puts a lot of strain on the wires leading to them breaking. You'll also want to be sure and inspect flywheel magnets for any cracking, breakage or if they came loose from their epoxy mounting pads. - Loose or cracked/broken/missing magnets will cause weird stator output readings too.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Kohler Twin needs a stator

Postby Dale_W » Thu May 09, 2024 6:01 pm

Great advice, thank you.
I probably should have checked the magnets before even ordering the stator coil.
As it turns out, the magnets were all in good shape, nice and secure.
The stator is in and engine put back together. It now produces just under 30 volts AC at running speed.
The voltage regulator seems to be toast. It is grounded, but only lets thru about 4 volts DC.
I have a new one on order.

Thanks again for your help with this engine.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum