• Advertisement

Briggs 31C707-0230-E1

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 31C707-0230-E1

Postby lefty » Mon May 20, 2024 4:17 pm

31C707-0230-E1
030627ZA

I have this craftsman machine with a starting issue. Presents as a dead battery but I've narrowed it down to a bad starter or compression release.
When I jump straight to the post and housing of the starter with a good battery, it behaves the same.
I adjusted the valves to spec and there is a slight bump on the intake. But I'm struggling to tell if it's adequate. My gut tells me that it's not.

My limited experience with busted compression releases has been complete failure with no bump. Do these failures ever present with an inadequate bump? Is there a spec for the rod travel on the bump?

Thank you
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Tractor PTO Bolt

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 am

What you can do for a test is to drop the intake clearance down to near zero. But I have never seen a ACR worn down just broken.

BTW I think Briggs may be on to something as the last two camshafts I just ordered has a modified ACR pin. It is now hourglass shaped, reducing the contact with the lifter (tappet).
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue May 21, 2024 7:20 am

KE4AVB wrote:What you can do for a test is to drop the intake clearance down to near zero. But I have never seen a ACR worn down just broken.

BTW I think Briggs may be on to something as the last two camshafts I just ordered has a modified ACR pin. It is now hourglass shaped, reducing the contact with the lifter (tappet).

Same part number 8....... something?
38racing
Forum Pro

Craftsman Tractor PTO Bolt

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 21, 2024 12:03 pm

yes the same PN and it even comes with the tappets again.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue May 21, 2024 4:49 pm

I just realized I started a new topic on this old thread. My sincere apology. That's what I get for using an autocomplete in the URL history to get to the site without my glasses.
lefty
Forum Pro

Re: Briggs 31C707-0230-E1

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 23, 2024 5:43 am

Your new topic has been split from the old one now.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu May 23, 2024 5:57 am

Appreciated.

I got to the bottom of this one. The stud on the starter wasn't fully tightened and I had small voltage drops all the way back along the positive side. I think this one may have been a bunch of tiny things adding up to a big problem.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 am

And you probably wouldn't think putting a 14 tooth starter in the place of a 15 tooth starter would make a difference either. Well I just got in a JD mower that someone did just that. Grinding on starting and the flywheel ring gear is showing a lot wear. Just hoping putting on the correct starter fixes that problem and that the customer don't need a new flywheel now. Just won't know until I get the new starter.

Meanwhile what the mower came in for was not starting. Customer told he had no spark. Well that not the problem. Carburetor full of water is the problem. Partially drained the tank and got a pint of water out of it so the tank got to be fully emptied so the water can evaporate out.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum