• Advertisement

Briggs Vtwin

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Vtwin

Postby choogie57 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Working on one of my inventions again 27 hp no right numbers because valve covers changed. Shorted out ground wire with diode. Is it possible to bypass diode and wire to separate switch to shut off. Thanks. :usa:
choogie57

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Vtwin

Postby okie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:34 pm

choogie57 wrote:Working on one of my inventions again 27 hp no right numbers because valve covers changed. Shorted out ground wire with diode. Is it possible to bypass diode and wire to separate switch to shut off. Thanks. :usa:

Yes. I have one of my machines wired to a toggle switch to kill the machine.
You can crank a long time if the switch is not thrown back in to run position.
Don't ask me how I know this. :oops: This is on a twin Briggs.

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Re: Briggs Vtwin

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Actually depends on how you do it - if you run a separate wire and circuit from each coil, and separate switch for each, sure no problem.

But, if you try to replace the diode (there's 2) in the ground wire circuit with plain wire, you'll have an engine that only runs on one cylinder - If both diodes are removed then you're basically grounding the coils, and have an engine that wont run.

The coil ground wires are internally grounded to the engine - without the diodes in the wiring harness, you're just grounding each one through the opposing coil's circuit, with the result being no spark at either coil. If one of the diodes is bypassed, that circuit results in the opposing coil not firing, thus an engine that runs on only one cylinder.

To bypass the diodes you got to have 2 completely separate ground circuits and switches - one for each coil.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum