• Advertisement

starting trouble on honda gcv190 on hrx217hxa

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

starting trouble on honda gcv190 on hrx217hxa

Postby crosstalk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi all,

I have an hrx217 that I bought used. It looks like it's seen little use. When I bought it, it had gasoline leaking out of the carburetor into the air filter. I cleaned the carb and solved that problem. Changed the oil and replaced the air filter. The machine runs ok but is a bit difficult to get started--not my usual one pull experience with honda. The choke has a manual lever on the handlebar and it seems to be fully engaging (hard to see but the lever on the control plate won't go any further). The coil air gap checks ok (0.3mm). New spark plug didn't help (ngk bpr6es). Would it help to pull the valve cover to check the valve lash (don't want to do it if that's not likely the problem)?
crosstalk

Advertisement

Re: starting trouble on honda gcv190 on hrx217hxa

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Valve clearance could very wel;l be the problem, BUT first I would pull the air cleaner off and see if the control lever actually does close the choke fully - Completely closed, not even a gap between choke plate and carb body -

Should be able to check that with a good flashlight , maybe a small mirror (like dentist uses) to be able to see around the spitback plate on the air cleaner base. If all else fails, set it to full choke and then peering around behind, use a long screwdriver or something to see if you can push the choke any further closed than the linkage has it - even a small amount of movement probably means the choke is out of adjustment.

If you can verify the choke is closed completely, I'd probably do a leakdown test first to see if maybe a valve is not hanging open or burned exhaust valve, THEN maybe a clearance check is in order if the easy stuff doesn't bring anything to light.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby crosstalk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks, bg. It seems the choke is in fact out of adjustment. I just took a more detailed look at it, and it's not completely closed. My mistake was trying to push the control plate lever up more and deciding that because I couldn't move it the choke must be closed. I haven't tried adjusting it yet, but it looks like the control arm is just touching the choke lever on the control plate, which is how it should be. Hopefully the problem isn't on the handlebar side of things. I will report back once I have looked at it further.
crosstalk

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:13 pm

crosstalk wrote:Thanks, bg. It seems the choke is in fact out of adjustment. I just took a more detailed look at it, and it's not completely closed. My mistake was trying to push the control plate lever up more and deciding that because I couldn't move it the choke must be closed. I haven't tried adjusting it yet, but it looks like the control arm is just touching the choke lever on the control plate, which is how it should be. Hopefully the problem isn't on the handlebar side of things. I will report back once I have looked at it further.

If I remember correctly the throttle control cable is adjustable at the control lever to take up play in the cable caused by wear.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby crosstalk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 am

Yes, it looks like the throttle cable adjustment is going to work. I can't get it perfect because I am running out of threads on the adjuster. If I shift the position of the cable in cable sheath clamp on the control plate, does that give me any more adjustability on the handlebar side? Seems like it should, but if not, a new throttle cable will be needed eventually.
crosstalk

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am

That how a lot Briggs engine control cable are adjusted so to answer the question I would say yes.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby crosstalk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks. I did the throttle cable adjustment and it's starting with 1 easy pull. Didn't need to mess with valve clearance (this time).
crosstalk

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Excellent. Glad to hear you got it fixed. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum