• Advertisement

MTD Lawn Tractor Steering Help

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD Lawn Tractor Steering Help

Postby dennis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I am working on a lawn tractor that has steering problems. The tractor is:

MTD Lawn Chief....Model 13AN678G022 (843706) , Serial # 1A051B80066

I think the Model Series is considered 678

I am looking for a service manual, or anything else that can help me tear the steering linkage apart and put it back correctly. I think the drag link is bent, and there may be problems with the steering gear. Somebody ran the thing into a tree. I have the Illustrated Parts Book for it, so will know the part #s I will need when I get it torn apart. Thank you.
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: MTD Lawn Tractor Steering Help

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:13 pm

There isn't much in the way of consistent service manuals from MTD - It is hit and miss if there's a manual that matches your particular model. Usually the dis-assembly and reassembly is fairly straightforward and not much can really go wrong - if things don't line up, it is often because something bent or broke. (some manuals can be downloaded at mtdproducts.com and if you cant find one, usually a call to MTD will get you one.)

We usually have steering gear segments, tie rod ends and the steering shaft bushings in stock - we don't stock most tie rods as they are not often replaced, and there are just *so many* different ones.. Most often after hitting a tree depending on what hit, the axle tube or a spindle gets bent , other than that most steering problems are due to a ball joint, steering gear or bushing.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dennis » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks, bgsengine.

I forgot to mention that the noticeable problem is that the tractor turns sharply to the left, but very little to the right. The guy that continued to use it, for months, after it rammed the tree, only turned to the left!!!!
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Do the front wheels track straight and line up ? (That is, the "Toe-In" adjustment - like the term says - its like if your toes point "in" a little or point "out" a little..) for these, you'll generally want them to have a zero, to a very slight "Toe-In"
- measure between inside "front" and "back" of tires and front should have the shorter measurement by around 1/8 - 1/4 inch

If the machine doesn't have that, then I would first check the tie rod between the wheels and see if it can adjust out the tracking of the wheels..
Otherwise then most likely the drag link is bent out of shape (Hopeless to try and straighten them - Once bent, they'll just re-bend again with even a slight impact)
Or, more likely one of the spindles (or the axle itself) is bent - compare the "suspension" alignment side to side when wheels are pointed straight (Caster and Camber controlled by the axle bushings and straightness of the axle) and the steering knuckles (where the tie rods and drag links bolt to) most times it becomes fairly obvious, but sometimes there's just a bunch of "little" bends or damage that add up - those can be harder to find, without completely removing front axle and spindles and set the parts out on a bench and compare them
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 am

Is it possible the steering gear has skipped?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:59 am

Yes it can jump teeth but that will only cause the steering center position alignment to off and would not affect the turning left to right.

Probably the steering arm slipped on the left front axle. It is at least worth giving look into to if this is what has happen. After pointing the front wheels straight forward, loosen the steering arm clamp bolt and turn the steering wheel to it mid point and retighten the steering arm clamp bolt; that should give you ability to turn right again.

The tie rod can be bent along with a bent axle but you should notice that both wheels do not point in the same direction.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 am

KE4AVB wrote:Yes it can jump teeth but that will only cause the steering center position alignment to off and would not affect the turning left to right.

Probably the steering arm slipped on the left front axle. It is at least worth giving look into to if this is what has happen. After pointing the front wheels straight forward, loosen the steering arm clamp bolt and turn the steering wheel to it mid point and retighten the steering arm clamp bolt; that should give you ability to turn right again.
Excellent possibility, I agree on that one.

The tie rod can be bent along with a bent axle but you should notice that both wheels do not point in the same direction.
Right - that was the initial check I mentioned - check toe-in /toe-out , caster/camber from side to side comparison usually will show the problem from a visual inspection. But, good point on the steering arm - I forgot about those being equipped on those older MTD's. I was thinking more along the lines of the welded-on ones like AYP does (bleh!)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi Dennis

Go to <http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=mtd&mn=13AN678G022+%282001%29> then select the top link. I'll use the key numbers to identify parts. Does the machine you're working on have a pressed steel or cast iron front axle? If pressed steel, check bushings # 24 for excessive wear as this will affect toe in. The tie rod # 30 may or may not be adjustable depending on the specific model.

By your description it sounds like the drag link # 16 may be bent or the upper right steering arm has slipped on the king pin or steering spindle # 32. The lower steering arms are welded and would only affect toe in if bent. This unit doesn't have a pitman arm as the drag link is bolted directly to the steering quadrant # 51. If the steering pinion # 54 is skipping teeth on the quadrant, check bushing # 52 for wear and make sure thrust washer # 53 and retainer cap # 46 are still properly secured and in place. Hope this gives you something to work with. All the best,

Sky
ADDED CLICKABLE LINK...http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=mtd&mn=13AN678G022+%282001%29
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby dennis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I will go to that site, skywatcher, and will check everything on the tractor you folks suggested. Will get back to you.....but don't hold your breath! May take awhile. Thanks again.
dennis
Forum Pro

Postby dennis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks everybody for the help. Gave me lots of things to check, most of which were ok...Turned out to be a heck of a bend in the draglink. Ordered a new kit containing draglink and ball joints.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum