• Advertisement

champion generator remote start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

champion generator remote start

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I am working on a champion generator model 46565. I has a remote key fob to start and stop the generator.
The remote will turn it off but won't start it. Also the start switch on the panel will not start it. the start switch will turn it off. The owner has it wired directly to his truck battery. The way he starts it now is to short out the soleniod.There is 1 wire coming out of the conctol panel that looks like it has been cut. I can't anything to conect it to I found a wiring diagram online but the wire colors on the diagram dont match what is in the control panel.
Has any one dealt with one of these.
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: champion generator remote start

Postby JandL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 pm

I am working on a champion generator model 46565. I has a remote key fob to start and stop the generator.
The remote will turn it off but won't start it. Also the start switch on the panel will not start it. the start switch will turn it off. The owner has it wired directly to his truck battery. The way he starts it now is to short out the soleniod.There is 1 wire coming out of the conctol panel that looks like it has been cut. I can't anything to conect it to I found a wiring diagram online but the wire colors on the diagram dont match what is in the control panel.
Has any one dealt with one of these.

I have quite a few of these in the shop from time-to-time and I am listed as a repair center for them in my area.

The wire coming out of the control board that looks like its been cut is the antenna for the remote control, don't try and connect it to anything.

I would guess the receiver has malfunctioned and will need to be replaced.

The starting system he has is not a good way to start this unit. The starter is NOT built to take the starting amperage of a full size car/pickup battery. Continuing to start the unit this way will burn up the starter and I suspect it has already burned up the starting solenoid.

Here is a link to the manual for the model number listed: http://www.championpowerequipment.com/support/?model=46565&search=Search

The technical support number for Champion generators is: 1-877-338-0999

Hope this helps.
JandL
Forum Regular

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:22 pm

The wire coming out of the control board that looks like its been cut is the antenna for the remote control, don't try and connect it to anything

Thanks that makes sense.
I suspect it has already burned up the starting solenoid.

i will check into that
Thanks again
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby okie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:35 pm

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/s ... rch=Search

Clickable link--choose english version (if you speak english :D )

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Well the solenoid is toast
Thanks for the help
looks like it this one
23.125200.01 Relay, Starter (Remote Control)
I will call them and see about a new one
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby Az Shadeguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

I wonder if I could use a solenoid off a car.
Like a 80s ford they have 2 leads
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby NO0C » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:47 pm

That would be the route I would go. A fender mounted magnetic switch like my '92 Town Car is equipped with.

Motorcraft P/N SW-2212 or a BWD S-5123. The contacts will take all the current you will ever need.

Coil ground of course is provided by the mounting flange.

Good luck.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:15 pm

NO0C wrote:That would be the route I would go. A fender mounted magnetic switch like my '92 Town Car is equipped with.

Motorcraft P/N SW-2212 or a BWD S-5123. The contacts will take all the current you will ever need.

Coil ground of course is provided by the mounting flange.

Good luck.

The problem with that one is his circuit has a switched negative ground circuit in addition to the 12 positive input so the solenoid ground must of the isolated version or at least that is what the wiring is showing.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Az Shadeguy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

well i bought one for a mustang and it has two side terminals one marked witha S and one marked with a I
It does not work
On the old switch has 2 wires coming out of it so I thought I could hook I wire to each side. that did not work

[quote]The problem with that one is his circuit has a switched negative ground circuit in addition to the 12 positive input so the solenoid ground must of the isolated version or at least that is what the wiring is showing.[quote="

I can't make sense out of the diagram
the wire colors don't match up
I have 2 wires coming out of the old switch both with the same colors
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby NO0C » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 pm

KE4AVB wrote:The problem with that one is his circuit has a switched negative ground circuit in addition to the 12 positive input so the solenoid ground must of the isolated version or at least that is what the wiring is showing.

Well there is an easy work around for that. Isolate the mount from the generator chassis and run a ground wire to the mount. A grommet in each hole and perhaps insulated spacers should take care of that.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Last edited by NO0C on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum