• Advertisement

Briggs Manual for 450E - 500E Model 08P5?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Manual for 450E - 500E Model 08P5?

Postby rogerf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:39 am

Hallo folks :D

I notice that the new Briggs 450E engines (Model 08P50) are starting to turn up here on Chinese made lawn mowers. I am wondering if the appropriate repair manual is available in any sort of format. They are so new here they shouldn't need any kind of work done on them, but it would be interesting to have a look at the repair manual. I've done a couple of searches with Google, but not come up with a printed of PDF version from a place I could trust.

Seems Briggs have been a bit smarter than that well known Japanese brand - at least their engine are being used :!:

There seem to be some downloadable manuals around from somewhat 'Murky' sources, but I'll steer clear of those - I don't want my computer used by others to create trouble :roll:

Looking forward to some real information!

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Manual for 450E - 500E Model 08P5?

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 am

rogerf wrote:Hallo folks :D

I notice that the new Briggs 450E engines (Model 08P50) are starting to turn up here on Chinese made lawn mowers. I am wondering if the appropriate repair manual is available in any sort of format. They are so new here they shouldn't need any kind of work done on them, but it would be interesting to have a look at the repair manual. I've done a couple of searches with Google, but not come up with a printed of PDF version from a place I could trust.

Seems Briggs have been a bit smarter than that well known Japanese brand - at least their engine are being used :!:

There seem to be some downloadable manuals around from somewhat 'Murky' sources, but I'll steer clear of those - I don't want my computer used by others to create trouble :roll:

Looking forward to some real information!

Cheers,
Roger

do you have a part number for the manual? if it isn't already in a downloadable somewhere. (Might just be the single cylinder OHV manual covers it.) I can grab a copy from Briggs and post it in our manuals/downloads forum
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby rogerf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Hallo bgsengine,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a part number for the manual, and when I search on the B&S pages I draw a blank :cry: I've tried a couple of times now without success.

I've also looked in the single cylinder OVH manual, but of course it doesn't say it relates to the new series of engines, because they weren't released when the single cylinder OVH manual was printed. Could it be simply a small addition to the existing manual?

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Yep, they will probably be in the revised single cylinder OHV manual, it appears. Probably have to find a latest revision copy from Briggs
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby rogerf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Hallo bgsengine :D ,

Thank you for your complete reply :P :P

Guess I'll have to keep watching the links section on this forum :) :)

Thanks again,

Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bluemower » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:51 pm

I found the question interesting and decided to research on the power portal.

The current single cylinder OHV manual was published in Aug 2009 and does not include the 450 - 550 e series engine. This engine was designed by Briggs and is manufactured in the Murray, Kentucky plant. It is offered in 140cc, 148cc, and 150cc versions with the primer system or the auto choke system. The air filter is either foam or the paper element. The carburetor is a plastic design that can be disassembled further than any of the other carburetors.

The Briggs Power Portal does not list any service manual for this series. The following Advanced Product service bulletins contain some technical information:
APSI 83 location of engine model
APSI 84 Oil service information
APSI 85 about 10 pages of technical information and specifications
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Bluemower,

At least now we know that we are searching manuals on the 80000 and 90000 OHV series and that model numbers are format as the following example 08P502-0002-H1. The model-type-trim number is stamped into the carburetor bracket to the right of the OHV rocker cover.

Valve settings are .004-.008 for both the intake and exhaust valves.

And the hunt goes on...
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum