• Advertisement

benalene grease sub

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: benalene grease sub

Postby Arkie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Got it!

Thanks
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:11 am

Arkie,

Here something I thought of that might be of interest. The drive shaft and bevel gears does come in kit form which many of the IPLs don't list. The driveshaft kit is PN 911-04091 includes driveshaft, bevel gears, bearings(bushings) and the clutch collar. Much better price than the individual parts. Of Course pricing depends on where you source the part; for me TEW has the best price.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:54 pm

I checked my 95 mtd handbook and in 2 places it says transaxle contains 10 ounces of grease. Also a reminder to grease the shaft before putting on the bevel gears.
KE4AVB wrote:Arkie,

That was a couple years ago and would take some digging the actual transaxle but was the common single speed version that is still in use on many of the MTD built mowers. It takes approximately 20 oz. of grease. On the rebuild just make sure some is added to axle areas to prevent premature bushing failure.

I had to rebuild my personal Bolens 700 series last Summer because it developed squeaking noise from axle. When I rebuilt it I found that the one side was never greased from the factory. The 660 series single speed I know is basically the same as the 700 single speed. Pay special attention to the drive shaft and the bevel gears as I have had to replace them because of shifting between forward and reverse and slippage problems on pulls.

You can download 700 series mower service manual from http://www.mymowerparts.com which will have the info servicing the single speed transaxle.

MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Got mine back together but I see now that company did not send me darina r2 clay grease. It is darina ep2. Looked it up and thickener is non soap 'microgel' with properties that seem to match what the transaxle needs.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum