• Advertisement

stihl ms290 fuel line install

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

stihl ms290 fuel line install

Postby stienut13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Put a new fuel line on a Stihl MS290 saw, took way too long. :usa:
Good lord what a PITA. Put oil on it, silicone on it, finally tried some dish soap. Was still really hard to get grommet in the tank. Finally got it in.
There was a small crack in the old line coming out of the tank, and a few others, hence surging and hunting, and need for replacement Build date 4-09. RUSNS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS NOW. Neighbor paid $50.00 for it, very nice saw.

Just so I know, what is the secret to putting the fuel line in the tank??????????
I just got's to know, 5 or 6, I am feeling lucky,

Thanks,
Jim :usa:
stienut13
Guide

Advertisement

Re: stihl ms290 fuel line install

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 pm

stienut13 wrote:
Just so I know, what is the secret to putting the fuel line in the tank??????????

Patience, and O.E.M. Fuel lines The aftermarket lines are much harder, not as pliable, not as easy to install. They feel almost like they are made of plastic mixed with rubber - they are, of course, cheaper (usually) but just ain't the same as using O.E.M. lines.. But in most cases, a drop of mix oil on the O.D. of the grommet and thread 'em in, then you need to reach inside the tank with a hemostat or long reach needle nose pliers, being careful not to poke a hole in the new line, and pull them through - they'll stretch a little, which makes the grommet slide in much easier. One of the reasons we go O.E. when it comes to fuel lines like that - not just the rubber is softer, but they can take a lot more stretching.. after tearing the line off the grommet on 3 straight (aftermarket) lines, and then the O.E. line slid right in, as Ace Ventura would say.. "Liiike a Gloooovvvveeee!", we only go with O.E. lines any more - saves time, they fit exactly right, and so far, they have never ripped or torn, and they have outlasted the aftermarket lines we'd installed on other machines previously... So, even though buying a half dozen fuel lines from a Stihl dealer costs us nearly 3 times as much, it's worth every penny to make sure a job gets done right, and quickly.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: stihl ms290 fuel line install

Postby stienut13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks Brian. :D :D
It was an OEM part. I considered pulling it with a long needle nose, but feared tearing the line. Neighbor put a hole in first replacement trying to poke it in with a screwdriver. I was standing there and told him twice not to do it that way. Oh well, his gas and time to get another fuel line. In the end, it got fixed.
My right arm is soooo sore from starting that thing!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, the site is great. Good to "see" lots of familiar faces here.

Jim :usa:
stienut13
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum