• Advertisement

Briggs recoil starter

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs recoil starter

Postby wobbedennis » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 pm

model type and code for the crank, rod, piston, and recoil assembly,
3250 01

model type and code for the block and carb assembly,
c160 01
951129ya

I combined these two engines a few weeks back, The engine originally came off of a generator, and it had a tapered shaft, and I needed a key way, not to mention it burned oil like there was no tomorrow. But my dad and brother were using it yesterday when it started to squeal and then the recoil starter blew up. It was the little ball bearings that came out and scattered all out over the dirt, never to be seen again. I have used that recoil starter on several engines and it died on this one, my question is, how much does this cost to replace, and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Briggs recoil starter

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Cost: B&S 399671 starter clutch (Still in production) costs around $20 - $25 new plus of course, new rope and spring (# 490179 ) for the recoil (The spring is most likely tangled now and you won't have any luck trying to straighten it back out.)

Preventing it from happening again: Make sure the crankshaft is perfectly clean and smooth and dry - No rust, if you mushroomed the end by hammering on it to pop flywheel off, etc, you need to file it down. *ABSOLUTELY NO OIL OR GREASE ON ANYTHING* shaft must be clean and dry a dab of dry graphite lube is OK . and a single drop of light machine oil through the oiler hole in end of the clutch (Moistens the felt pad) every 6 months or so is the only other lubrication. Everything else must be clean and dry and free of rust, burrs, scratches, etc.

any little bit of friction at all that the clutch sees - sticking balls, sticking to the crank, etc, and it blows up your recoil easily.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wobbedennis » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:12 pm

ok, it didn't hurt the plastic or the spring just the clutch.
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Postby wristpin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:23 pm

MS- DOS had the blue screen of death, BS had the squeal of death!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:55 am

wristpin wrote:MS- DOS had the blue screen of death, BS had the squeal of death!

LOL...a sound as familiar as a pump shotgun.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum