• Advertisement

Kohler Courage Engines

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Courage Engines

Postby Propwash » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Any opinions on the Kohler Courage series? Some have told me to stay away from them, but I thought I'd ask the collective.
Propwash

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Courage Engines

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Depends - the horizontal shaft ones have held up quite well, (Some of them are actually just chinese honda clones, like some of the low end Briggs and the "new" Tecumseh/LCT) but their vertical shaft "Bucket" engines (So called because their crankcase/cylinder assembly is basically an aluminum bucket with a lid on top) have had a number of cracking and metal fatigue issues (weight of the cylinder combined with bolts getting loose = cracked crankcase)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Blueflame6 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 am

bgsengine has said it all, I have come across three of these Kohler vertical engines with oil leaks. All had cracked blocks, backed off lid bolts worn from rubbing on the flywheel. I did not repair any of them.
Blueflame6

Postby Propwash » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am

That is very helpful. Thank you both. It would be very disappointing to see such a failure (cracked and leaking crankcase) on a relatively new engine. Just should not happen. I bought a Honda GXV620 20 HP twin cylinder overhead cam. Looks like an amazing engine from what I have read.

Best wishes,

Tom
Propwash

Postby smallen » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 pm

I bought a Honda GXV620 20 HP twin cylinder overhead cam
marked OHV or OHC
smallen
Forum Regular

Postby Propwash » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Sorry, overhead valve GXV620.
Propwash

Postby smallen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I thought maybe your were friends with Shinji Oketani and he gave you a prototype of a new OHC v-twin :usa:
smallen
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 pm

A friend has one of those courage verticals on a toro zero turn. Can the tightness/torque on that closure plate's bolts be easily checked? Looking at the service manual I expect that the flywheel has to come off.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:31 am

I saw one that the cylinder moved in and out about a 1/2" as the piston went up and down. Yikes!

I just repaired a popped-out exhaust valve seat on another. It had overheated because the thing was covered in crud. The owner told me that when it was new, it had a warranty repair done for an oil leak. Apparently, they never cleaned off the oil, and, well, there you go.

I think you're right, 38, on the flywheel removal, but it's been a while since I had one apart.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:35 am

Total junk in my opinion they should pull the courage off the market and redesign. I have seen 3 with cracked blocks and one with the crank busted all the way through the block Kohler rep wants to do a short and I told him I need a new rep. He didn't like that to much but he knows I'll be up front and straight. Just my two cents Kohler doesn't have a real good engine out that will hold up for an extended amount of time. They rank in the lines of a cub cadet to me they r made for each other. Not a Kohler or a cub fan here. :popcorn:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum