• Advertisement

Parts costs vs MSRP

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Re: Parts costs vs MSRP

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Re msrp. Rockauto is a big player in auto parts. Just about always cheaper to Canada even with shipping duty brokerage and the cdn tax they collect. One of the big parts makers is Dorman. I exect a wack of Dorman parts were sold by Rockauto. Well Dorman decided it wanted everyone to sell their parts at Dorman's suggested price. Rockauto said no thanks and dropped Dorman. I can't believe that didn't cut Dorman sales by a noticable number.
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: Parts costs vs MSRP

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:26 am

That called price fixing which at one time was illegal to do. But of course with tRump in office a lot the rules are being broken now. Companies like Briggs has been going around demand that the distributors only sell their parts and when an aftermarket could be sold instead. Gardner appears to have drop the Briggs line because of this. I do have couple Briggs distributors left and my Sunbelt is still beating Power Distributors price wise most times.

I sell at suggested list only because my costs has gone down with me getting a couple distributors. I was buying at near list and marking up from there to cover shc and to make a little profit. My senior customers do get a discount off these prices. But I just can't see selling a 5/16-18 nylon lock flange nut for 2.50 when it only cost me outside the MTD network 0.20 but of MTD wants 1.25 for the same nut.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion