• Advertisement

Craftsman Tools

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Re: Craftsman Tools

Postby DennyIN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:28 am

I have a locally owned Sears store near me, excellent service and will wheel and deal on larger items when asked. Even though some of the craftsman tools don't seem to have the quality they once did, like ratchets and screwdrivers, I still like to trade there and support the local business. I was in thee two months ago and bought a brand new clearance item, 154 piece tool in a case set for $60. A few of the tools were duplicates of what I already have, but I could not pass it up.
DennyIN

Postby madmantrapper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:05 pm

DennyIN wrote: A few of the tools were duplicates of what I already have, but I could not pass it up.

I don't mind that to much because I have tools in the shop, in the wife's car, in my truck, in the tool shed, in the garage, they never go to waste.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby jimw1949 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:00 pm

I have not had a problem with Sears warranty return policy, but then again I don't return much stuff either. I have only returned one thing and that was a "sign maker jig" that used a router to cut letters into wood. It didn't work as well as I thought it would, so I returned it. The local Sears store guy asked me why I was returning it and I told him exactly why. He took it back without a problem.

When I was younger my parents owned a farm and we had quite a few Craftsman hand tools. As I recall, we only returned two things, one was a socket that we broke because we used a pipe to get more leverage and we bent a breaker bar. We took both of them to the local Sears store and they replaced the two items, no questions asked.

I suspect any time there is a tool warranty problem it is fault of the local Sears store and not the fault of higher up management. That is just a guess on my part, but I think if the failure of Sears to honor the lifetime tool warranty at all stores were more commonplace we would be hearing about it on the 6pm news.
jimw1949

Postby bobodu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 am

jimw1949 wrote: were more commonplace we would be hearing about it on the 6pm news.

What??? Take away valuable time from stories about what that Kardashian is wearing and outrage over something Phil Robertson said ???
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 pm

If you buy Laser tools in the blue packaging they are the same as Snapoff tools.
Never do a job standing up when you can do it sitting down.
John

Postby okie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:06 pm

John wrote:If you buy Laser tools in the blue packaging they are the same as Snapoff tools.

Did I read this right?
I have some snap-on tools and I have had some tools that snaped off from abuse, but never had tools named snapoff.
Strighten me out John.

Travis :D :D
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby NevadaWalrus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Just a disgruntled opinion some of us have regarding the Snap On brand. The first and last time I purchased a Snap Off tool it was a slot screwdriver which promptly "snapped off" at the blade tip. The fix was to extract the shaft from handle and press in a new shaft. Well, it was never tight after.
NevadaWalrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:37 pm

I probably just one of the few that expects his tools to break if abused. For most part most of my hand tools are not Snap-on, Mac, or some other tool truck brand. I have worn out tools and replaced them but as far as one just breaking under normal usage I haven't one in the 40 yrs that i have work on automobile and truck equipment. And it is fair easier modify a tool when it don't cost an arm and leg to replace.

Things like impact wrenches are of another story were you got to pay attention to the specs. Some are gutless wonders; others are workhorses and well every penny spent on them.

If I can I am going to get me one those 700+ ftlb 1/2 impacts along a 300 ftlb torque wrench this year. That 250 ftlb 1/2 just don't cut it on take spindles apart. I usually end up using with a couple 1/2 pull bars to them apart.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Buckshot 1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

:) Had Snap-On for years,sold them off. Now all Craftsman. Found out one thing about Craftsman, when going in for a replacement tool, you have to watch them. As they might try a replace with a rebuilt tool. The clerk tried that on me and I told him that was not going to fly, as I bought new and a I wanted new one to replace the one that broke. He did not give me any problem, went over to the rack and gave me a new tool. I do not know if they still have Sears branded tools, in my opinion they were 2nd/3rd grade tools. :usa:
Don B, Ft. Wayne, IN., USAF 1962-1968
Buckshot 1
Forum Regular

Postby madmantrapper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Buckshot 1 wrote::) in my opinion they were 2nd/3rd grade tools. :usa:

You mean for 2nd or third graders.
madmantrapper
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion