• Advertisement

Craftsman Tools

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Re: Craftsman Tools

Postby BushBoneYard » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:19 pm

From what I can find, this seems to be the Craftsman hand tool [certain group of tools] warranty.

If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period.*

WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

That info comes from here.

http://download.sears.com/war/spin_prod_688249201.pdf
BushBoneYard

Postby jimw1949 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:43 pm

BushBoneYard wrote:. . . . . This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period. . . . . . .

I do not understand this warranty statement, it makes very little sense to me.

The warranty period is essentially forever, so why do they say "within the warranty period". Also, they say the warranty doesn't cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use. What expendable parts are there on a wrench, or a hammer, or on any hand tool for that matter? There are no expendable parts on hand tools that I am aware of, unless perhaps if you consider the jaws on a pipe-wrench as being expendable. I don't consider them to be expendable, but maybe to some people they are.
jimw1949

Postby mwerles » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am

This warranty does not cover expendable parts (if supplied) that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period, including but not limited to bits, bulbs, replacement blades, alkaline batteries, filters, belts, sandpaper, pads, bonnets, abrasion discs, grinding wheels, contact tips, nozzles, inflation needles, trimmer line, and spark plugs.
Les
mwerles
Forum Regular

Postby jimw1949 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 am

With all due respect, I don't think the Craftsman lifetime warranty covers power tools, only hand tools. It has always been my understanding that for Craftsman power tools the warranty was one year and obviously they would not cover expendable things like sandpaper or blades. But the hand tools have a lifetime warranty and for all practical purposes they don't really have expendable parts. That's why I said the warranty statement posted above didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, at least not for the Craftsman hand tools. It would make sense for the power tools though, so I am thinking that must be what it is for.
jimw1949

Postby BushBoneYard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:12 am

All of the various warranties can be found by clicking the link I posted. The excerpt I posted is from the hand too warranty [specifically retail hand tools]. The hand tools themselves are broken down into even further categories as represented below.

RETAIL SALES WARRANTIES
HAND TOOLS
1. Craftsman Accu-cut, Hacksaws, Handi-Cut, Utility Knives, Snips, Bolt Cutters
2. Craftsman Torque Wrenches
3. Craftsman Tap and Die Sets (excludes Craftsman Bolt-Outs)
4. Craftsman Bolt-Outs (excludes Craftsman Lug Outs)
5. Craftsman Straight Claw Rip Hammers, Replacement Cap Hammers
6. Craftsman Tubing Cutters
7. Craftsman Tape Measures
8. Craftsman Evolv Hand Tools
9. Craftsman Multi-Tools
10. Craftsman Torpedo Digital Levels, Standard Digital Levels, Bar Clamps
11. Craftsman Automotive Specialty Tools (Non-powered, Non-Hydraulic)
12. Other Craftsman Hand Tools labeled HAND TOOL FULL WARRANTY in warranty header
13. Other Craftsman Hand Tools not labeled HAND TOOL FULL WARRANTY in warranty header
BushBoneYard

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 am

They're covering their behind with that - Hand tool expendable parts (that eventually wear out) knurled knobs on adjustable wrenches, the "guts" to a ratchet, for example - they do wear out under normal use. although *I* never had a problem getting them replaced under warranty, (repaired) , I do have a spare repair kit for my craftsman ratchets but the last time I changed it out I took the kit in to local sears and they gave me a new kit in replacement, free.

and, yes - the lifetime warranty covers CRAFTSMAN branded hand tools only, does not cover power tools or those hand tools *without* the Craftsman brand on them.
(Got to read the warranty statement that came with the tool you buy, it can vary - SOME hand tools are NOT covered by lifetime warranty.)

It is not correct to say that ALL craftsman hand tools have lifetime warranty - just those that are sold WITH the lifetime warranty.. so it pays to read the warranty statements that come with tools - I am always amazed at how people bring us tools (Ridgid, Ryobi, Homelite, Honda) where they require a dated sales receipt unit, and they say "Who ever keeps receipts?" .. If you want warranty, you'd better have that receipt.

Going off track a little bit:
Though in the case of Ridgid's "Lifetime Warranty" (Which technically, except for certain units sold in 2003-ish period of time) is actually a lifetime *SERVICE AGREEMENT* - You agree to register your tools by serial number with Ridgid (and re-register if they are ever replaced) and Ridgid agrees to cover *most* repairs not due to damage from abuse, mis-use, or neglect.
- But so many customers we've had come in that don't have their LSA ID number, or have ever registered it and say "But they have a lifetime warranty" - They don't. Its lifetime SERVICE, provided YOU do your part to keep them registered.

Back on Topic:
Far as I have ever experienced, never had any problem getting a Craftsman tool replaced under warranty - But, since our craftsman tool collection consists mostly of wrenches any more and only 1 ratchet (Most everything else is SK, Mac, or Snap-On, mixed in with some ancient Proto tools from the 1940's (my grandfather's) ) we have not had to do a craftsman warranty in years.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby stienut13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I too have a vast mix of tools. I like the Craftsman best, Still use the 3/8 ratchet my girlfriend gave me for my birthday 38 yrs and 5 mos ago today. Not too big on the newer screw drivers with the round shank, much prefer the older one with the square shafts. I have a few that have to be 40 or 50 years old. My cousin and I did break a 1/2 breaker bar once taking an axle nut off my VW. Most likely cause was the 5 ft. pipe with both of us standing on it. I remember taking it back to Sears, he looked at the bar, looked at me, said "wow", and gave me a new one.
We don't have a real Sears here any more, just a mom and pop one. Took a cracked 8mm socket back, and they don't carry that one as a single item. Not about to drive 20 miles north or south for that. Good thing I have a few spares!
Nothing lasts forever gents, except the memories.

Jim :D
stienut13
Guide

Postby okie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm

stienut13 wrote:Hi all,

Not too big on the newer screw drivers with the round shank, much prefer the older one with the square shafts.

Jim :D

And I know why that is. You can put a 12 inch cresent wrench on the shaft. :bricks:
and add a little torque to the job. (Don't ask me how I know this)

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby jimw1949 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:52 am

I don't know if this means anything or not, in-so-far as Craftsman tools are concerned, but the local K-Mart store just closed a few days ago. I have gone to K-Mart a few times in the past and I had noticed quite a few Craftsman tools in the store. When the store was in the final days of closing a friend of mine went there to check out the place for bargains, and he said there were still a lot of tools left. Apparently not too many people wanted to buy Craftsman tools, even at greatly reduced prices.

Like I said, I don't know if the above scenario really means much, but I think it MIGHT mean the trend these days is to avoid buying Craftsman tools. Or, it could just mean the tools that didn't sell happened to be tools that nobody wanted. It is hard to say exactly what goes thru other people's minds, but I tend to think it is an indication of the Craftsman name going downhill in the minds of a lot of people. If these were Snap-On tools at greatly reduced prices, I would have to think ALL of the tools would be gone quite quickly, whether people really needed them or not. I mean, if you saw a set of Snap-On screwdrivers for $5 wouldn't you buy them, whether you needed them or not? I know I would. If nothing else I could sell them for more than I paid. Anyway, what I described is something that happened locally and whether or not it is happening nation-wide, I have no idea, but I suspect it may very well be the case.
jimw1949

Postby BushBoneYard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Took the wrench back this morning, hassle free exchange. Adjustable is USA made to boot, I didn't expect that. $19.99 retail.

BushBoneYard

PreviousNext

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion