• Advertisement

Craftsman Tools

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Re: Craftsman Tools

Postby bobodu » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:19 pm

I have never figured out why they need to mark a Crecent wrench "10IN." Do modern college educated kids need it in writing to hang it on the right peg?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BushBoneYard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:23 pm

bobodu wrote:I have never figured out why they need to mark a Crecent wrench "10IN." Do modern college educated kids need it in writing to hang it on the right peg?

I would be willing to bet many college kids today don't even know what it is. :?

Maybe if it had a usb port? :)
BushBoneYard

Postby creia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you for the follow-up. It is appreciated! :D
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby BushBoneYard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:05 pm

creia wrote:Thank you for the follow-up. It is appreciated! :D
Michael

No problem, it actually went much smoother than expected.
BushBoneYard

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:07 pm

bobodu wrote:I have never figured out why they need to mark a Crecent wrench "10IN." Do modern college educated kids need it in writing to hang it on the right peg?

Probably the same reason certain other "Tools" need to be measured for length.. :shock: :oops:

"My Tool is bigger than YOURS, and here's the proof!"
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 pm

BushBoneYard wrote:

I would be willing to bet many college kids today don't even know what it is. :?

You are right on. True story...
A couple of years ago, when my son Jeff pitched for his high school baseball team, at the end of every season (as a team) they had to take down the outfield fences, which involved using some hand tools. He told me that the coach addressed some of the players around him and had requested that someone bring him the ratchet with a 1/2" socket from the toolbox. All the players except my son (who brought him the tool) just stood there ("deer in the headlights") as they truly did not know what he was talking about! :o
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:23 pm

creia wrote:
BushBoneYard wrote:

You are right on. True story...
A couple of years ago, when my son Jeff pitched for his high school baseball team, at the end of every season (as a team) they had to take down the outfield fences, which involved using some hand tools. He told me that the coach addressed some of the players around him and had requested that someone bring him the ratchet with a 1/2" socket from the toolbox. All the players except my son (who brought him the tool) just stood there ("deer in the headlights") as they truly did not know what he was talking about! :o
Michael

Very sad but true.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby bobodu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Can someone explain how you go half a kilometer?
Carl goes half a liter about 14 times a night....don't expect to get any sleep when he visits...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

bobodu wrote:Can someone explain how you go half a kilometer?

You could go 500 meters and see how that fits.

Bo ...is the cold getting tough to take?

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby jimw1949 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 pm

In some ways I can understand why so many kids today have very little, if any, knowledge of tools. I mean, when I was young most of the people I grew up with did the majority of work on their cars and on other equipment they owned, not necessarily because they wanted to do it, they did it because they couldn’t afford to hire it done.

Problem is, today, things have changed dramatically and not so many people feel comfortable working on stuff like they were when I was young. With vehicles (and even smaller equipment like lawnmowers) being as complex as they are, it is rather difficult, if not impossible, for most of us to do much of the work on the equipment ourselves. For example, I used to do quite a bit of work on my cars, but now I don’t know where half the stuff is even located, and even if I did know I probably wouldn’t have the knowledge, the dexterity nor the specialty tools to do the work anyway. So why waste my time trying to do something I can’t do anyway?

What I am getting at is, I don’t think as many people today are buying tools, using them and teaching their sons to use them, as was done in years gone by. Frankly, I have my doubts that the kids of today are learning very much about tools from their parents. I am a farm kid and we did practically all of our own mechanic work. But back when I was kid, that’s just the way it was. You learned about tools and you used them practically on a daily basis. Now we live in a different time and everything is all different.

In my opinion, in order for someone to become a qualified mechanic would require a great deal of training and it would necessitate the expenditure of a rather large amount of cash to purchase the necessary tools and other assorted testing equipment in order to be an effective mechanic working in a shop of any kind.
jimw1949

PreviousNext

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion