• Advertisement

Trail Blazer

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Trail Blazer

Postby Carlw » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Any one on here own a Trail Blazer? To be exact a 2004 Trail Blazer with a vortex in line 6 Cyl engine? I have one and the fuel mileage sucks. Any one know what I can do to get better fuel mileage? That is other than trading it in for one of these little skate boards the auto industry is trying to push un into. I am not sure but I think I get about 8 to 10 miles a gallon with it. Carl
Carlw
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Trail Blazer

Postby bobodu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 am

My 02 Bravada ( same thing) gets 15...run a scan and make sure the cat is clear. Make sure it isn't locked in 4WD....but you would know because of the crow hop. Of course, check the air filter.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby fixer5000 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 am

figure out where the map or maf sensor is and clean it with sensor cleaner or contact cleaner...do not touch the wires or mishandle it at all
" GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "
fixer5000

Postby Carlw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies. I don't have four wheel drive so I don't need to worry about that. I will check out the other things though. I don't think the Cat is clogged or I would get a check your engine code, which I don't. As for the Maff, I will check that out. Don't know the last time a tune up was done on it but I was thinking of changing the plugs if I can find them. I believe they are in the middle under all that plastic junk on the engine. Thanks again. Carl
Carlw
Forum Regular

Postby NevadaWalrus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:45 am

Unlike a carbuerated engine a fuelie with computer control will only lose power with a clogged air filter.
NevadaWalrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Carlw wrote:Any one on here own a Trail Blazer? To be exact a 2004 Trail Blazer with a vortex in line 6 Cyl engine? I have one and the fuel mileage sucks. Any one know what I can do to get better fuel mileage? That is other than trading it in for one of these little skate boards the auto industry is trying to push un into. I am not sure but I think I get about 8 to 10 miles a gallon with it. Carl

That what you get for getting rid of the old ford pick-up. It would have gotten 11 MPH (on a good day)

Travis :bricks:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby TwoCycle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:53 am

Hi Carl,

Verify actual MPG before performing any checks or repairs. Very important step.

General checklist:

Tire pressures to spec
Correct oil viscosity
Gas cap sealing, any "mold" on the paint around fuel filler door? EVAP codes?
Spark plug condition

If this is a sudden reduction from normal MPG,

Recent change in gas station or fuel grade selection
Dragging brakes, including E-brake
Alignment
Wheel bearing(s)
Transmission OD functional
A/C system efficiency (compressor working harder than necessary)
Various bearings associated with the drive belt

You mention no code for the cat, what make and model scanner are you using? Are there any codes?
TwoCycle

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 am

Check your distributor cap and rotor.

If anything like the one on my 2000 Silverado it is probably badly burned. A week ago my suddenly acting like it had blown a head gasket. When I check the distributor cap for carbon arc damage I found the coil input pin completely burned away; I don't see how even ran.

Be carefully these distributors are made with plastic screw holds and are easily broken. I know I just broke one last week on my own truck. Boy they are making things cheap nowadays.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby TwoCycle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:29 pm

KE4AVB,

I don't think he has a distributor cap, 6 individual coils on top of the plugs.
TwoCycle

Postby bobodu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:33 am

I still wanna know where Carl is getting his code information from...my reader doesn't always pick everything up. It won't do driveline for instance.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion